chapter 7

Almost two weeks has passed since Lydia's mother, The Queen of America, passed away to the plague. Lydia also found out that she was immune to the plague, because her mothers sickness should've been passed onto Lydia but never was. The castle was believed to stop lockdown today since the there's no traces left of the plague. Today is also the day of Queen Natalie's funeral. Lydia had emotions full of anger, grief, and sadness. All of her anger was directed to Queen Isabella. The Queen of France is the reason that Lydia's mother died. That was something that Lydia could never manage to move on from that.

Thirty five people in the castle died of the Black Death. Queen Natalie was the only person from the royal family who died. As Lydia sat on her bed, staring at the wall, a few guards opened her room doors. "My lady, it's time for the funeral."

"Yes, of course." Lydia replies, getting up from her bed and getting escorted down to the backyard, where the funeral would be held. When Lydia arrived in the backyard, there were chairs everywhere and a closed black casket in front of the chairs. A Saint was standing in front of the casket and he was preparing to speak. The first section of chairs was strictly for the royal family, no one else would be allowed to sit there. Lydia sat between her father and Stiles. It felt odd without her mother sitting beside her. Lydia looked at her father who was staring at the casket then she looked at Stiles who was looking at the ground.

The day was unusually cold for being late April. Temperatures would start be warmer and the sun was suppose to be shining, but today was a dismal looking day that seemed to match the way everyone was feeling.

"Queen Natalie of America reigned for over twenty years." The Saint said loudly, getting everyone's attention. "She was one of the best queens who ever ruled over this country and kept everyone in this country safe and sound. She was a queen who was both loved and feared. She always seemed to know what was best for the country, for our country."

The speech lasted for at least twenty minutes. Everyone listened and some were crying. Lydia felt like she didn't have any tears left in her. Her father kept a straight face and Stiles had a look of guilt on his face. Stiles thought it was his fault. That the whole reason that Lydia's mother is dead was because he wasn't smarter about Queen Isabella's action. He thought that he should've known that something wasn't right because everything was just too easy. Stiles also knew that he couldn't feel sit around feeling sorry for himself and that he had to move on from the mistake that put everyone in danger. He knew that all that was possible now was trying to defeat Queen Isabella and stop an incoming war that could kill even more people.

After the funeral ended everyone was silent for the rest of the day. Some were silent to respect others feelings about this or some were silent just because they were still sad. Lydia was quiet to be respectful and because she didn't want to talk to anyone.

The day also felt l like it dragged on forever. When the day finally ended, Lydia felt a sense of relief. She didn't have to deal with people giving her apologetic looks or seeing her in the hallway and apologizing for the loss of a great mother and queen. Lydia didn't want apologies, she just wanted to be left alone.

Lydia continued walking up the flights of stairs to the third floor so she could go to her room to sleep so the day could be over, but as she walked up the stairs she saw Stiles coming down the stairs and stopped walking, "What are you doing?" She questions.

"I went to your room to see if you were okay but when I knocked no one answered so now I'm just going down to my room. But now that I ran into you, how are you?" He asks.

"Well, I'm fine.... I'm actually not but yeah, I'm fine." Lydia says, forcing a small smile. "I just want to get this day over and move on."

"Like moving on to becoming King and Queen?" Stiles questions.

That thought never crossed Lydia's mind until now. She didn't realize that her father would have to step down from the throne in just a few months. "Maybe that should be a discussion saved for later. Today isn't really a good day to discuss our future as King and Queen. Tomorrow probably won't be either"

"I'm sorry, but I don't think we have a choice for that." Stiles says.

Lydia narrows her eyes at him, "And why is that?"

"Your father just received word that the Empress of Korea, Kira Yukimura, is traveling to the American castle to speak to the future King and Queen of America about another possible alliance to help take down France. She's suppose to be here in the next two or three days" Stiles informs with a nervous tone at his voice as he waits for Lydia's reaction.

"So be it." Lydia replies, surprising herself and Stiles with her sudden change in attitude and tone, "If a new King and Queen the people want then a new King and Queen the people will get."

~-~-

I apologize that is short but this chapter was mainly about the funeral for Lydia's mom and a build up to lead to the next chapter, where Kira is officially introduced! A lot of things are happening next chapter, so get ready.

Also thank you guys for over 300 reads! I'm so happy that so many people like this story. A huge thank you to everyone who reads this!