21 | three; i choose you

Start from the beginning

Kaden stopped abruptly and Lux skidded to not bump into him.

"I'm going to town."

"That sounds like a perfect place for some fun."

"You're not invited." stated Kaden.

Lux meandered around him, leaning over in front. "The question is whether you think that will stop me?"

Unfortunately not.

Kaden frowned, slightly irritated to have his plans thrown out of order. It was a free night, and he didn't want to waste time—lest Yoser turn to some other wicked noble, and Arlo's safety was jeopardized.

He glanced down at his hands, covered in black gloves. Killing... he could do it, but taking a life, regardless of their crimes, was not something easy to do.

How could somebody look into a person's eyes, realize the fear they felt and the life that they lived, the innocence that they once had in their youth, and kill them remorselessly?

What was murder? A means of vengeance, a way of excitement for some.

And for some, it was punishing the guilty and simultaneously punishing oneself. That was what it meant to reap a life, in Kaden's vision.

And in the past, it had been pure torture, when not all the proclaimed guilty had been guilty. His crimes, his sins—he would be judged for it, one day. Just as Reed would be, by his own hands.

As for his judge...

...perhaps it would lie in those warm, inked hands of the dragon's son.

Lux peeked at the contemplation, a silent thoughtfulness on the other's face, downcast eyes casting shadows with his dense eyelashes. There was no time to feel sympathy for those in Reed's chains.

He, himself, was bound in thorny vines that wouldn't let go.

"Are you going on a mission for your master?"

Kaden snapped his head over, narrowing his eyes. He scanned Lux's face, before loosening the tension in his shoulders, scoffing. "Have you allied yourself with that picture perfect prince?"

"At least I'm not a dog at his feet." Lux remarked, raising his chin.

"Are you delusional to believe that you're standing on equal levels?"

"Oh, trust me, I know exactly where I stand."

Kaden's gaze sharpened, before he shook his head. If Lux was working with Reed, then it didn't matter if the man discovered what he was intending to do. He shuffled slightly to reveal the glint of metal.

"I'm following through with my task. Do you still want to follow me?"

Lux lowered his eyes to the sharpened metal, swaying innocently on the man's hips. He let out a laugh of surprise.

"What a dangerous game you're playing."

Kaden's lips curled up into a chilling smile, like that of a whispering siren, speaking lies into your ears. "Dangerous?"

Killing a hypocritical father that was willing to sell his own child?

Of course, Lux didn't know of the details, and he didn't need to either. Kaden spun around, walking to the carriage prepared by Reed. It was an old, broken mess of a carriage, wobbling and threatening to collapse.

That's why, if it were to be found, nobody would be able to locate where it'd come from. No noble would dare to ride such a dangerous object.

He swung his legs over the front seat, pulling his scarf up to cover his mouth. Before he could hurry away, Lux jumped over the front, sliding beside him.