Chapter 51: Settling Down

Začít od začátku

"We see you, Aemma! Are things holding up all right on your end?"

"Uh-huh! We're keeping this going at a steady pace. Father said so. He said Silverwing's pretty old and not as young as she used to be so I can't be too hard on her."

"*Urrrrr!*" Silverwing responded.

"Iksan pirtiapos, Gēliotīkun! Iksan pirtiapos! (I'm kidding, Silverwing! I'm kidding!)"

"Hah, easy now, Aemma," Jaehaerys warned. "Whether it's in High Valyrian or the Common Tongue, a dragon understands what you say."

"Yeah, don't think I don't know that much at least," Aemma replied. She felt an increased pressure around her midsection. "Ngh! Brother, you're squeezing me too tight..." she strained.

Viserys eased his grip. "Oh, sorry, Aemma," he apologized. "I'm just... not used to being on a big dragon that's all." It's a shame Maelyx isn't big enough yet. I'd prefer his company, and I bet he does too.

"Wait a while, Viserys. You'll learn to get used to it." Aemma observed Seasmoke ascending closer. "Hello, uncle. Jace, Luke," she waved.

"Ah, princess," Laenor acknowledged. "Does your... father know that you're all here?" he inquired.

"Yes," Aegon the Younger stated. "He's with us right now."

"But I don't see him," Lucerys looked around.

"Oh, don't worry. He's here. You'll see for yourself soon."

"*RUUUUUUUUAA!*"

All eyes turned up at the clouds above upon hearing another dragon's powerful roar. After a while, the field of clouds dispersed as Vaelor dove through the skies and placed himself at the front of the pack. In the past ten years since Rhaenyra's wedding, the Swiftrunner had grown to an astonishing 207 feet in length, stood almost two hundred feet in height, and had a wingspan of 406½ feet with added muscle to his bulk. His horns atop his head curved upward – making him look draconic – with a few protruding from his lower jaw as well; his scales hardened and overlapped each other, increasing his durability. Although he had grown noticeably larger than before, Vaelor surprisingly retained his reputable speed and mobility as the fastest dragon in the Seven Kingdoms.

Aeonar held onto the harness, with Daeron sitting on his lap. "Keep yourself strapped in, pay attention to your surroundings," he instructed his youngest son. "And hold on tight. We're going in." Glancing over his shoulder at the others, Aeonar spun his index finger in the air in a circular motion signaling for them to follow him.

Daeron didn't mind. The young prince was happy. He was having the time of his life!

Eventually, the dragons approached the shoreline, and behind it, the Red Keep, King's Landing, and the Dragonpit. Once they circled for another pass, each of them witnessed a large gathering of locals coming to watch. The dragons flew in low, and once they were close enough, they quickly turned upward – brushing past them as the spectators applauded at the sight. Not every day did many expect to see Vaelor, Vermithor, Silverwing, and Seasmoke performing aerial acrobatics and demonstrating their majestic power; there were still of course Vermax, Arrax, Corxes, Maelyx, and Gaemon, as well, but they were still juvenile dragonlings who screeched in a high-pitched tone as they flew struggling to keep up.

Down on the ground, Alicent and Rhaenyra watched their families flying their dragons. Rhaenyra would like nothing more than to go fly with her sons with Syrax as well, but she had to stay behind to take care of Joffrey.

"Faster! Faster! Faster!" Daeron exclaimed excitedly.

"Patience, son. Patience. We have plenty of time." Besides, if I had Vaelor go full speed ahead, your small body wouldn't be able to handle the pressure. Aeonar scoured the surface of the Blackwater like he was searching for something. Hmm. Any moment now... Maintaining one hand on the harness, Aeonar reached into his pocket with the other hand to pull out a spyglass.