𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

ANOTHER FISH HIT THE GROUND AND FLOPPED UNTIL JEREMY PICKED IT UP

ANOTHER FISH HIT THE GROUND AND FLOPPED UNTIL JEREMY PICKED IT UP. Charlie sighed, slightly giggling as she watched him struggle to put the fish in one of the tiny bowls in front of them. "Will you please stop killing the fish? We only have a limited number of these before we have to go buy more."

They were setting up things for the carnival that night that Caroline was in charge of setting up. Since she was in the hospital and unable to do her job, that made her freak out and make everyone else do it. She wanted to make sure that it was perfect, and as much as the Lockwood girl loved the blonde girl, she could be a bit of a contrl freak, especially when she was not there to do it all herself.

"It's not dead," he protested before gesturing to the moving fish in the bowl that was a little lopsided as he swam in circles. Even though it was technically happy, it did not seem very happy to be so. "See? It's all swimming and happy."

"Barely," she argued, rolling her eyes.

As she dropped another fish into one of the bowls using her net, he responded with a playfully bitter expression, "Well, not everyone is an expert in fish scooping like you are."

"It did require years of vigorous training," she told him sarcastically because it was not that hard to not dump the fish onto the ground. "I mean, I guess I can't expect you to not hold the freaking net upside down!"

"You yelling at me is not helping!" he shouted back as he failed to scoop another goldfish out of the really big tank that they had.

Before she could retort, Stefan walked over to them with a small bottle in his hand. Charlie furrowed her eyebrows, examining it as he got closer, and she realized that it was vervain. As he approached, he asked, "Am I interrupting something?"

"Just Jeremy starting his career as a fish murderer," she replied, causing the Gilbert boy to glare at her with a frustrated expression. She looked to the Salvatore man as she placed a fish in one of the last bowls. "Hey, you want one? Jeremy didn't kill as many as I thought he would, so we're gonna have some left over."

"I'm good," he answered, waving her off. He did not really have the time to take care of an animal, no matter how low maintenance it was.

She sighed before crouching down next to the tank where about ten goldfish were swimming around, scared that they were about to be scooped up at any moment. It was like the goldfish apocalypse. "Okay, little guys, it looks like you're coming with me."