155

"I suppose we're lucky we wound up in this time

"I suppose we're lucky we wound up in this time. We could've appeared in the middle of the Ogre Wars or smack dab in the belly of a whale." Killian tried to put an optimistic spin on their predicament which only earned him an unamused look from Odette which could also be seen on Aramis' face as well. At least now he knew where she'd learned to perfect hers. It was only Emma who hadn't given him any sort of reaction, and soon it became clear why. "Why are you reading that now?"

His question had other eyes turning to the blonde who seemed to be crutching down on the ground with a familiar book in her hand. "And how did it end up here?" Odette couldn't help but ask, wondering what exactly Emma and Aramis were doing before the portal opened and they all got sucked in.

"Because when we were falling through, I was thinking about Henry and the story we were all reading at Granny's." Emma began to explain, eyes glancing to Aramis for a moment while Odette and Killian were left still somewhat in the dark.

"You think that time portals work like any other sort? They take you back to where you're thinking of?" Aramis questioned curiously, their words making Odette step towards Emma and lean over her shoulder to see which part of the book exactly she was looking at.

"Not where. When."

"Well, the good news is that if you're right," Odette found some relief as she read over the familiar words which told the story of Snow and David's first meeting. "I'm still locked up for another day or two so nobody's out here looking for me. At least that's a perk."

"It would appear the portals share another quality," Killian spoke up, eyes searching their surroundings on constant alert and taking note of yet another very important detail. "They don't stay open for the return trip."

"Nope. We're trapped in the past." Emma gave out a small sigh as she slammed the covers of the book closed, letting Killian stash it away in his bag. "I should have left Storybrooke the instant we defeated Zelena. This is exactly the kind of thing that does not happen in New York."

"On the bright side real estate's much more reasonable here." The pirate's comment had Odette doing her best to keep back a small laugh. Although, from the glare her goddaughter sent her, it was safe to assume she hadn't been very successful at hiding her amusement.

"Okay, we've been in no-way-out situations before. And we found a way out. We just have to calm down and think. I'm sure we'll come up with something." Stopping her laughter, Odette tried to focus again as she spoke in a reassuring tone. Her little pep talk was met with a rather lengthy silence. And she was the one to break it again after a few moments. "Anyone come up with anything yet?"

"How would I know how to get back to the future? Who do I look like? Marty McFly?" Emma asked in a rather annoyed tone that made Odette give out a small sigh. So much for trying to remain optimistic.

"Marty Mc - who?"

"The kid with the lightning and the DeLorean and they went back in time and then he-" Emma started to give a rather haphazard explanation of the movie she'd been referencing. One that only made Killian grow more confused.