I sigh and pick the phone up with hesitation, my thumb slowly inches towards the button and without another thought, I hit it, and my heart rate skyrockets.

It rings twice. "Ellie? Hello." Demetri speaks and I want to melt. His voice is smooth and deep and causes butterflies to erupt within my already nervous stomach.

"Yeah, hi." I respond, and I hope the shakiness of my voice is just in my head.

"How are you today? I hope you slept well?"

"I'm doing fine today, except for Bella being a complete bitch—" I stop myself with a timid laugh, "Sorry, you're probably not interested in hearing me complain about my sister, huh?" My face burns. I've already embarrassed myself and we just started talking. God.

"Nonsense, everything you say interests me." The silky smoothness of his voice only makes his words sound so much better. My knees feel weak—thankfully I'm sitting.

"Ha, smooth." I compliment. "And to answer your other question; I slept well, besides the dream I had where I turned into a turtle and was run over by a bus."

Demetri laughs through the phone, its melodic. My heart thumps.

"It's not funny! I woke up in a cold sweat, thinking I was a dead turtle."

"I apologize, it sounds truly terrifying."

"Pfft. Anyways, how have you been? Sleep well?" Wait... I'm pretty sure vampires don't sleep, right? Or do they? In coffins? During the day? Hanging upside down? Maybe I should do some research on these things.

"Uh, I slept wonderfully! Felt quite replenished this morning when I awoke." Demetri staggers as he tells me about his sleep, and he doesn't sound too convincing.

"That's great! You didn't dream about turning into a turtle, did you?"

"Sadly I did not, maybe next time."

"Consider yourself lucky, it was actually a little scary. I now have sympathy for turtles and their little legs. Aw, I wonder how many die just flailing around on their backs." Am I rambling? About turtles? Oh well, it feels nice to just talk.

"You have an active mind, don't you?" Demetri asks with obvious amusement.

I smile to myself. "I have been told that I do, yes."

"I must say, it's quite refreshing."

"Whys that?" I ask and my fingers tap my desk.

"Most people I spend my time with are... extremely serious." I hear him sigh. "They certainly do not talk about turtles being stuck on their backs," He laughs and the sound makes my stomach flutter. "I don't think they could if they tried."

I nod along. "Well, I'm glad that someone actually appreciates my ramblings, they're an art and only few see the true beauty of them."

Suddenly, my phone screen is lit up with an influx of messages from my roommate.

annie 🩶: Ellie
annie 🩶: Have you heard from Riley?
annie 🩶: He was supposed to be home from break a week ago and he said we'd meet up today
annie 🩶: I haven't heard from him
annie 🩶: I think he's missing or something idk.