Malena's Purpose

Written by: Pariah

Malena takes a deep sigh as she looks up into the sky. After the recent battle, something was beginning to become more apparent. Normally, after a successful hunt, her clan mates would be there to celebrate with her. Now she stands here alone; though she is watching over these men in Krysist's stead, it just isn't the same.

These aren't her people, she has no attachment, memories, nor familiar bonds that bound them. Though this last battle with demons, the undead, and a deranged god strengthened their ties a bit, there was a long way to go before she could ever see these people as anything but just soldiers.

Malena was a bit surprised and wanted to protest when Krysist told her to watch his men in his stead as he quickly went away with Sharpe. Before she could even question him, he had already bolted. The annoyed feeling quickly went away as she realized where she was now. Although she wanted to know what was so urgent that both warriors were needed, she knew her place for now as a subordinate. If Krysist trusted her enough to leave in charge, she was satisfied with that, for now.

She slowly reaches for the blade that hung around her hip. As she stares at it intently, she gives a half smile as she reminisces about her cherished memories.

— — — Sometime before Operation Mjolnir — — —

"So, it's actually happening then?" Aldon asked.

"It is," Malena confirmed. The group stood in silence as the news started to set in. They all felt that the end was inevitable, but it was a concern pushed to the back of their minds.

"But it doesn't have to be the end, right? We can still-."

"No Nelia," the Warrior Bunny interjected. She placed her hand on her companion and gave a reassuring smile. "I just do not see how this can continue any longer. Like a wounded animal, sometimes it's just best to let it die."

"Besides," Kryuune chimed in. "This all really belonged to Atilius. We were just fortunate enough that he invited us into it."

Malena was about to defend herself, but part of her knew that she was right, so she closed her mouth once more. This did belong to her late master, and she couldn't help but feel that she had failed him. Perhaps if he was still alive, he could've come up with a solution to their current situation. If he was here, maybe they wouldn't have splintered as much as they did.

Seeing his leader's concern with the expressions on her face, Aldon added, "but it's not like Atilius left a successor. And even if he had survived, he never could've predicted any of this happening. I don't know if even he could've kept things going as they are. We should be grateful that at least he wasn't alive to see its end."

Malena noticed what he was doing and gave a slight nod of thanks. "Well regardless of the reasons or the hands of fate, the decision has already been made. The place these Terrans offer, Alnus, is great. It's peaceful, but it isn't the place for me. I have to go."

"Then we'll go with you!" Sebille exclaimed.

"Yes, we're with you, boss!" Nelia added.

"No, that's enough. I'm going off on my own and that is the final. I've made up my mind; I'm going with Krysist and devoting my blade to him. This is my path alone," Malena finished as everyone started to take everything in.

The Warrior Bunny took a deep sigh to hide her sadness and tried to lift up everyone's spirits. "Besides, I've noticed how happier everyone has been lately and I don't want to take you all away from that. You've all found something to be attached to, right? That's why you've been so quiet, Kryuune."