Home - Tales of the Clanless

(Direct sequel to Teacher's New Assistant - Tales of the Clanless)

Written by: Pariah

***

--- Apex Liberty, Alnus Community ---

Date: June 10th, 2026

"Don't get too far ahead, you two," Sarah says, trying to keep up with both Sebille and Selina. They both play as they walk along towards the popular pub known as Apex Liberty. Sebille poking and evading as Selina attempts to catch her. Sarah just smiles as she sees her soon to be daughter laugh and act as a girl her age should.

It had been an eventful first day for Sebille as she had agreed to volunteer and help out at Sarah's school. It was off to a rocky start with Sebille arriving late but she proved to be a quick learner with how serious she took her duties from there on out. Sarah smiles, happy that she has another hand at school now and from someone who genuinely wants to help.

Sarah watches them play as they make their way down the sidewalk towards Apex. She watches the little fairy, beginning to get lost in lingering thoughts about her before her train of thought is broken.

"Sarah, you there?" Sebille asks, floating directly in front of her face as she jumps.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking."

"Thinking about what?" The fairy asks.

"Mama, you were supposed to turn back there with us," Selina chimes in as she grabs her hand.

"It was nothing important, but right, sorry. Let's head back," Sarah responds. They move towards their destination once more, Selina and Sebille continuing with their shenanigans as she keeps an eye on the little fairy; the same thoughts coming back to her. Call it a woman's intuition, but she feels something is off with the fairy but decides to just brush it off.

Moments later as they reach their destination, laughter and playful shouts could be heard coming from the place.

"We're here!" Selina shouts as she points. Sebille smiles, landing right on top of Selina's head. She just looks up as she feels the fairy sitting on her head. Sarah catches up with them and sees Selina holding the door open for her.

"Ladies first," Selina says.

"Why thank you, little ladies," Sarah teases back at both of them as she walks in.

Sebille was about to respond but quickly picked up on the innocent joke and merely kept her smile. The cheery atmosphere enveloped the entire establishment with a warm welcoming presence. The bar was filled with all sorts of people, some appearing to be workers, some girls enjoying their night out, and some soldiers blowing off some steam. It was just what you would expect in a standard pub.

Sarah quickly leads them all inside while she scans for an open spot for them. As they search, a prickly-faced, burly man drinking by himself from a corner of this restaurant eyes the group. A crooked smile finds its way on his face as he sizes up Sarah, appreciating all of her feminine features. Watching her, he licks his lips and takes another gulp of his drink. His eyes make their way past her and onto the girl behind her, Selina.

'Growing up just nicely too,' he thinks to himself, still smiling. But someone had taken notice of his gestures and how he looked at the girls. The man continues to watch them but something catches his eye, a blue aura begins to shimmer right on top of that little girl's head. As he focuses, he can see a small fairy sitting there but she is staring right at him. Her demeanor shows hostility as she slowly shakes her head towards him, almost as if warning him. Upon noticing this, he finally looks away and continues on minding his own business.