Minick Dojo

***

--- Fort Minick Dojo, Fort Minick ---

A charging human male swings his fist.

With a quick dodge, Shino was able to get behind the man and kick him. "Got to do better than that."

The soldier shook his head and smirked. The man charged forward, throwing punch after punch. Shino easily dodged them all and then swing a kick. To her surprise he caught it.

The man twisted her leg and lunched her in the chest, knocking her on her ass.

As Shino got up, she held her chest. She did not expect his counterattack and realized she no longer could goof around. "Alright big guy, you want to dance, let's dance."

Seeing the threat, Shino ducked, dodging the sword attack. She grabbed that arm and flipped the man around. She placed her knee on the guy's back and hold him down.

"Enough," Chief Master Sergeant Carlos Cruz ordered. "Good Spare."

After a quick celebratory laugh, Shino helped the soldier up. "Good job Manpiv. Good fight."

For the past few months, Shino has been helping train the Alnus Militia into a fighting force. Some are farmers who never fought before. Others are ex-slaves who want revenge or to fight for their freedom, like the Black-Americans during the American Civil War. Luckily, at least a third are trained fighters like Adventurers and defector Imperial Soldiers. The issue has been each group has its own problems to sort out.

As part of the cultural exchange and influence scheme, many martial art associations and authorities back on Earth in many countries have approved the recognition of the natives of Uros in the official ranking system. As a result, so far, many militant members have attained formal belts indicating their skills in martial arts like Delilah and Wolf with Red Belts in Judo; Tyuule with Yellow Belts in Kyokushin Karate, and not so surprisingly Rory with a Blue Belt in Judo, which she against Giselle during the Battle of Mount Tube. 

Manpiv has been one of Shino's star students, quickly achieving a red belt. Once an Optio of the Imperial Army, a rank appointed by a centurion from within the ranks to act as his second in command. The US equivalent is a modern First Sergeant. He was captured by British forces at the Siege of Kerush. Once the city fell, he was an insurgent for a few months against NATO. However, his fellow insurgents wanted to harm the people of his city and that was a line he refused to cross so he switched sides and warned the British occupiers. From there he was allowed to join the Alcatris Knighthood.

"Thank you," Manpiv said. "Still not use to throwing punched at a woman but good fight."

"I get it," Shino said. "It is not natural unless you're a dick. But good job on your form. Don't go back into the brawling habit and remember your Judo training. The point of Judo is to counter people like you."

"Pay attention everyone," Carlos said to all the other students. "Take a lesson from this fight. While Leading Private Shino Kuribayashi is smaller in frame and size than Manpiv. However, strength and size are not always the most important. Understanding your opponent and using his weakness against him is a must to become successful warriors."

As Carlos lectures about the merits of soldiering, Shino looked at the large crowd of recruits.

"It is impressive."

Looking to Shino's side, she noticed Honorary Captain Grey Co Aldo of the Rose-Order of Knights. "What is impressive? I only kicked his ass because of advanced martial art I know."

"Not what I mean," Grey said. "I never thought to see so many recruits. I always assume you Terrans would fight this war alone."

"That was the plan," Shino said. "Even though this post was designed to train natives until warriors that we can work with it was always intended as a pet project. The only reason your Rose Knights are so active is that Pina is a Princess, and they are working directly with Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe."