•Part 12 | Sidetracked From Lunch•

You were reading your book for a bit, the shack was in a comfortable silence for a while. A few minutes later a knock was at your door. "Yes? Who is it?" You said as you set the book down. The knock was too large to be Mabel or Dipper. "It's Ford, may I come in?" He said from beyond the door. You stood up from the bed and walked over to the door, opening it calmly with a smile "Do you need something?" You said as you looked up at him, right into his dark brown eyes, they looked so nice in the light.

"Well, I accidentally took one of your dice, so I just wanted to return it," He said as he pulled out one of your 20-sided dice from the pocket of his lab coat "Oh, it didn't even notice it was missing, thank you, Ford," you smiled up at him as you took the dice out of his hand calmly, his hand felt a bit rough like they have been worked a lot. "Was there anything else you needed?" You said with a warm smile as you looked up at him.

He looked at you with a soft smile, "Well, it's nearing lunchtime, if you wanted to go down to the diner with me?" He offered gently. "Of course, in about how long.?" You looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "O-oh!" he coughed a bit in his hand before he continued to speak. "How about half an hour from now, is that enough time.?" He said as he looked down at you with a soft, questioning look.

"That's perfect, should I meet you at the diner or downstairs?" You said as your smile grew a bit. "Downstairs will be fine, I guess I'll speak to you again in 30 minutes," he said turning away and walking downstairs once more. You shut the door as he did. You felt your face get a bit red, he asked you to lunch after all. It wasn't a date though, you kept repeating to yourself, though you'd like to think of it as one.

You got yourself ready in a nice-looking, but comfy outfit relatively quickly, as you tied your eyepatch on, rather quickly. You walked downstairs quickly and Ford was standing at the door, talking to Mabel, though you could hear what yet. Ford noticed you come down the stairs and smiled at you, Mabel turning her head to you with a smile and waving.

You walked up to Ford by the door calmly, and he spoke up "You look nice," he said in a warm tone. "Thank you, Ford," You said in return. Mabel was smiling brightly up at you both, and after a second she spoke up. "Well I'm going to talk to Dipper, you two have fun!" She said as she waved goodbye and walked away. You didn't know what to do or say next so you just turned to look up at him and smiled softly.

"Well, let's head out then," Ford said looking down at you with a comforting smile. "Are we gonna walk or, take a car-?" You asked with a slight chuckle. "I think a walk would be nice, but we can drive you if you wish," he said with a warm smile.  "Yeah I agree, a walk would be nice," You said as you returned the warm smile.

He held the door open for you and you both walked outside. You both were walking to the diner. As you two were walking your eyepatch slipped off but you caught it before it hit the ground, Ford had taken notice, "You look better without that on, so why don't you leave it off Y/N?" He asked calmly as he snatched the eyepatch from your grip. You felt yourself grow a bit red.

"Fine. But if anyone calls it out it's on you, Ford." You say with a slight chuckle. "I'd be willing to live with that." He said calmly with a slight chuckle. He had put your eyepatch in his pocket, but you didn't mind. You both continued the nice walk to the diner calmly while talking a bit to each other.

You couldn't help but glance down at his hands a few times, you just really liked the fact he had six fingers. He seemed to notice the glances though. "Do you want to ask about it?" He asked calmly as he raised his hand slightly from his side, palm up, so you could look at his hand properly. You felt your face grow more red and look away.

"Sorry for staring- I just find it interesting." You said quietly, trying not to sound flustered. "It's called Polydactyly, it's a rare birth defect, like your eye," Ford said warmly as he put his hand back down. You both walked in silence for a minute before you spoke up again. "Mine is called albinism," You say as you looked at the ground as you two walk.

After a bit longer of walking Ford spoke up again. "We are almost to the diner," he said calmly as he looked back over to you. "Oh, great!" You said as you looked back up at the trail ahead. You could see him glancing at you in the corner of your eye, not just at your face either, he was looking you up and down occasionally without moving his head at all, just his eyes.

This made you a bit flustered but you decided to ignore it for now, after all, you overheard something you weren't meant to hear a while ago. After a moment Ford spoke up. "There's a nice spot in the woods just a bit off this trail, if you want we could go there for a bit to relax." He said calmly. "Sure, that sounds nice-" You said as you turned to look up at him with a soft smile.

"Great, it's just off the trail a bit. I know the woods like the back of my hand, so just follow me and you won't get lost," He said warmly as he took your hand, seemingly without noticing, and pulled you off the trail into the woods. Your face got red once again as he walked in front of you while holding your hand.

His hand felt rough and work but warm, his hand was bigger than yours, with the extra finger and all, and you quite enjoyed this. You followed right behind him as he walked seemingly into the woods randomly, but he said he knew where he was going, and you believed him.

After a bit more walking into the woods, he stopped at a willow tree with small water pockets in the roots like tiny ponds, it looked Mystical. "Here we are!" He said warmly, sounding proud of himself. "Wow, this place is really nice.  Oh, and you can stop holding my hand now Ford," you sold calmly as you lifted your hand that he still had a grip on with a small smirk.

His face immediately turned red and he let go of your hand. "I deeply apologize. when did I even grab your hand?" He asked, still sounding flustered. "When you started going off the trail," you said in return. He grew even more red at this and put his arms behind his back as he looked at the ground he almost looked as red as his sweater again. You found this a bit adorable but decided not to call him out.

"This place looks like a fairytale-!" You said to change the subject, Ford warmly chuckled a moment and seemingly calmed down a bit, though he still looked a bit red. "You sound like me when I first found this place," He said warmly as he walked under the tree, avoiding stepping in any of the small pockets of water. "It feels cool under here, care to join me?" He said with a warm smile.

"Yeah, of course," you said with a small giggle as you went under the tree with him. As you walked under you tripped on one of the roots and your face landed on Ford's chest, but he hardly budged, he just caught you and got a bit more red. "Y/N- are you alright?" He said as he put his hands on your shoulders and looked at your face to make sure you are ok. Your face immediately went red.

"Yes-! Yeah, I'm good-! I just tripped. All good here-!" You said quickly. You thought you sounded like a mumbling idiot. "Alright, if you're sure." He said with a slight exhale. He stepped closer to the trees stump, and you tried to follow, but couldn't. Because your foot got stuck in the tree roots.

————————————————

Another cliffhanger. I'm not sorry