Chapter 35

Chapter 35

In the aftermath of the destruction Harry had taken Tracey back to Potter Manor in magical suppression cuffs. It took some explaining but the group was horrified to learn what the brunette girl had done. It became immediately clear just how deep the leak went inside the friend group, and just how Nott had been able to obtain so much information. Of course when Tracey was revived from her stunned state she begged her friends to see reason.

It was the opinion of Tracey Davis that the game would've made them all stronger, and that she had no doubt that her friends were capable of surviving the atrocities Nott would have put them through. It was her belief that by winning these games the survivors cheated Death, and by extension earned his respect as Ignotious Peverell before them did.

Harry had said little during her explanation, and watched as Daphne's features shifted from shock, to horror, to rage. Rage that her little sister was nearly subjected to the same tortures her best friend had endured. In the end it took Hermione, Hannah, and Cho, to prevent the healer from strangling her best friend. Daphne was removed from the room screaming her anger at the brunette who seemed devastated by the reaction of a girl who had treated her like a sister for years.

She asked Harry what he planned to do with her, and he was upfront in the fact that she would be charged as an accessory to the kidnapping of a member of the Ancient House of Greengrass. The girl had accepted this with a bowed head, and did not even try to protest her punishment. Harry had explained to the girl when he took her into the Ministry's custody that he had defeated Nott after the young man had been refused by Death himself.

In a last ditch effort she even threatened to expose his title, and tell the world of what he was capable of, but Harry had merely smiled at her. The deal he had made with the Ancient One ensured that he would no longer be able to hide who he was. He would be forced to take a step in the direction that no Master had ever walked. He could only hope that the woman he loved would stand beside him while he did it. He only asked the woman to wait a few days before revealing his identity so he could settle his affairs. He assured her that it was the least she could do after he had spared her life at the battle of Nott Manor. She seemed hesitant, but swore it was never her intention to hurt anyone in the group, and would give him the few days time.

Those days had passed quickly. Neville had made a full recovery while under the watchful eye of Daphne and Hannah. Admittedly the two had little for other responsibilities in this time, but that would be coming to an end soon. The auror team had all spoken, and their primary mission had been completed. Harry had assembled the team together in Potter Manor the night before Tracey's trial would take place, and he knew he had a large task ahead of him. The next twenty four hours would be crucial to what he would do next, and who might be with him in the endgame.

The team of aurors were all situated quietly in the Potter Manor Common Room. The same room where many good memories, games, drinks, and laughs were had. There was no laughing this evening though. They all knew Harry had been keeping something close to the chest over the last few days, and all of them at one point or another had asked what was on the Head Aurors mind, but he just kept smiling at them, and telling them the time was not yet right.

When Harry walked into the room he felt the tension in the silence. All eyes were on him, and even Neville in his wheelchair looked more solemn than normal. Each anticipating their own thoughts of the disaster that was impending.

Everyone was dressed in casual clothes, and Harry told them all beforehand to not worry about formalities. This was a meeting among family, and they would not stand on anything less than that.

The young man wore a grim expression on his face when he began speaking, "You all know that I have been keeping something from each of you. No one alive knows the exact series of events that occurred at Nott Manor the evening I went to their home in France. No one except me. No one knows what had to be done in order for both Astoria and Tracey to return home safely except me. I have to change that now, because the world is going to be a different place after the trial tomorrow, and I want all of you to be ready for it."