Chapter 32

Chapter 32

When the team of aurors arrived in Essex they knew they would be walking into a fight, but what they didn't expect was the ambush. As soon as the auror team entered the restaurant they realized a battle had already begun in the fancy dining room.

At least half a dozen wands were trying to advance on Dean and Luna who were hiding behind a door that appeared to lead to the restaurant's kitchen. The rest of the patrons and staff seemed to have fled the scenes, which at the very least made it an easy target for the arriving aurors as Neville shouted through a wandless sonorus charm, "Aurors, drop your wands!"

Naturally the attackers didn't comply with the command, and the group split off while more attackers from different areas in the room, and began to rain spellfire down on the arriving team. Without hesitation Neville began shielding and defending the group while he barked out, "Ron call Jones for backup now!"

The young man hardly even had time to see if the redhead had listened as he took on three at once. His wand was a blur as he blasted through one's shields, and began attempting to clear a path for Dean and Luna to link up with the arriving support.

The Longbottom Lord had seen pictures of Camila and Pierre Nott before, and he was already disheartened by the fact that they were clearly not among the attackers currently present. More foreign mercenaries meant another wasted operation. Worse was that it also meant that the Notts knew the aurors were on to them.

"Daphne, Cho keep clearing a path so we can get to Luna and Dean. We need to pull everyone together before someone gets killed." Neville cried out as he took two down at once with a wide spread stunner.

Quickly the room was cleared, and with some teamwork the threat was neutralized with zero casualties. The restaurant on the other hand had suffered greatly. What had once been in a great ballroom style venue with a high class feel was now a scene of destruction.

Daphne Greengrass pulled up a chair as the last assailant was stunned a second time for good measure, and placed in magical suppression handcuffs. These handcuffs likely wouldn't stop a wizard of Harry or Neville's caliber, but to the average magic user it was just enough to stop them from apparating or using a portkey to get away. It was enough for now at least. Placing her hands in her face Daphne took a deep breath feeling the adrenaline begin to leave her body. She hadn't really traded spells outside of training since the battle of Hogwarts, and needless to say the fight had been a rush. From the moment the first killing curse came sailing towards Ron who had been next to her she knew she was in as much danger as she had ever been in her life.

She felt a firm hand land on her shoulder, "You alright Daphne? You weren't hit right?"

Looking up she saw Neville looking slightly red faced from the exertion of dueling, but still offering her a soft smile. She couldn't help but be reminded this was the man that many had feared and respected in the years following the final battle of the last war. She rose to her feet pulling strength from the man beside her and nodding, "Yeah. This was more intense than I expected considering it was our first mission seeing real combat."

Grinning the young man shook his head, "I hate to say it, but this wasn't much. You should've been there the night we brought Harry into your Emergency Room on a stretcher. That was a hell of a fight. Regardless, I am glad you are okay. I think Cho threw up as soon as it was over. Just shock from being in a fight for your life. The rest of us are a little more used to it. Now come on, let's get this lot ready for transport, and see if anyone will squeal for us. We have nearly a dozen in custody. One of them has to know something."

Daphne nodded as she followed the man, and he called out to Ron, "Where the hell is our backup? Jones should've been here with the rest of the on duty aurors at least five minutes ago."