Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Daphne never even closed her eyes despite her exhaustion. The twilight hours of the morning were passing, and her eyes barely wavered from the front door. She had been praying to whatever deity would listen that Harry Potter would stroll back into the house with her best friend at his side unharmed, but as every hour passed this eventuality seemed less and less likely.

Astoria and Draco had fallen asleep leaning on each other on the couch in the living room as they had elected to stay up with the girl until news could be found, but neither of the two had made it through the night.

A house elf appeared at her side asking if she would like another glass of tea, which she thankfully accepted. She was unsure how many glasses she had thus far, but the hot liquid was about the only thing that was keeping her from having a nervous breakdown. She absently wondered if the house elves were drugging her with a calming potion perhaps at her brother-in-law's insistence, but she barely phased the question through her mind as it jumped back to Tracey and the possible horrors she could be facing.

Dawn had passed and as the light broke through the windows of the house Astoria stirred awake looking at her sister worry already on her face, "No word?"

Daphne shook her head in response, and the girl sighed, "You should get some rest Daph. When they find Tracey she is going to need us, and you being near dead isn't going to help her."

Before she could retort, a white ethereal stag appeared in the room taking form, and Harry Potter's voice followed, "We have found her. She is hurt, but alive. You can come see her at the Ministry."

Daphne jumped to her feet, and took off towards the door while Astoria was shouting behind her, "Daphne wait! You shouldn't go alone. Give us a few minutes to get changed and ready."

Draco, who had awoken at the sound of Harry's voice, looked very alert all of a sudden. She briefly supposed that spending time under Voldemort's thumb for a year probably had him used to sudden awakenings that were less than pleasant, but didn't have time to furtherly consider it as she wished to get to her best friend, "You have two minutes before I walk out these doors. I need to see her."

Astoria nodded, and disapparated, while Draco summoned his wand and began transfiguring his clothes into slacks, and a button up shirt, while he snapped his fingers and an elf had brought dress robes to put on over his clothes.

The two were ready to go inside Daphne's threatened time, and the three departed together to the Ministry atrium. Arriving at the apparition point it was very quiet. It being a Sunday in the mere hours of the early morning she knew most of everyone would be at home resting peacefully. Not wasting a single moment though she started the trek through the Ministry which she had done with Susan on a couple of occasions that would take her to the aurors office. The elevator ride that followed was one of tense silence. Neither Draco nor Astoria said a word to her, as she stormed out of the elevator and to the lobby. Daphne was greeted by none other than Hermione Granger who looked dead on her feet. A small smile crossed her face when she made eye contact with Daphne who couldn't have looked any better, "Daphne. Harry sent you word as soon as we returned to the office. Tiberius Nott has been placed under arrest, and Tracey has been found. She is very shaken up, but is being treated by auror medics in a room nearby. Her injuries were not so severe to send her to Saint Mungos right away. Considering she had just been abducted from there Harry thought it would be insensitive to send her back so soon unless it was absolutely necessary."

Daphne felt a weight come off her shoulders, but hugged the girl gratefully for the news, "What can you tell me of her injuries?"

When the two separated Hermione had a disturbed look on her face, "Her wounds were completely muggle in nature. Needless to say, by the time we started working magic on them it had been an easy enough fix, and I think the mental damage will far outlast her physical trauma."