Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Bringing Neville back from the brink of death was an environment Daphne was much more comfortable in. When she had arrived at Potter Manor Hannah, and Hermione stopped what they were doing immediately and deferred to her expertise. Four hours of intensive work and care, before she was certain the man would survive. He was a long way from regaining consciousness when she sat down in her chair, but he would live. Her only fear at that point was the mental damage the dark magic may have caused, and if there would be any fall out from Harry's blood magic ritual.

She could still hardly believe it. Harry Potter used blood magic. Of course it was only in the attempt to save his best friend's life, but still she could hardly believe it. Of course coming from a more traditional family it hardly bothered her, but nonetheless she knew that the public would crucify Harry for what he had done if they ever found it.

The young healer wasn't sure if it was a testament of trust, strength, or defiance that Harry had done what he had in front of his team. If any of them ever came forward about what they had seen they could likely see the head of magical law enforcement in Azkaban. Yet he trusted all of them. He arrived in the brink of time, turned the tides with the Elder Wand, and then invoked ancient blood magic Daphne never even could have dreamed of. The strength he had displayed with the Elder Wand was something she would likely never forget either. She could feel magic in the air as if it was palpable. He had made dozens retreat in fear while moments before they were supremely confident in victory. If she hadn't witnessed the events of the evening she would never have believed a retelling of the tale. She knew he was powerful. She had seen the aftermath at the Quidditch World Cup, but witnessing it first hand was something entirely different, humbling even.

They had all waited for Harry to return to Potter Manor, but he had yet to do so when the sun had begun to rise. Hermione and Hannah had informed the remaining aurors of what they had faced in Godrics' Hollow, and needless to say they had all been stunned. Two displays of dark magic unlike they had ever seen was something near historical considering what they had faced against Voldemort. In fact if it weren't for Neville's condition Daphne had little doubt everyone would be back at the Ministry right now trying to gain more information on what had happened.

The only thing that had unanimously been agreed upon was that the Notts were deeply entrenched in whatever was going on. The ambush that had been laid down by Camilla and Pierre Nott was so perfectly executed they had to have somebody on the inside leaking them information. Someone that had to have known that the Aurors had been close enough to stick charges to them. This might have given them an opportunity to make them sing with the right amount of veritaserum, but now it would have to go to warrant. They would have to track the two wayward members of the Nott family down, and capture them. This seemed like a monumental task at this point as Daphne had little doubt the family had fled and returned back to France or somewhere else on the continent.

Harry had arrived via the floo network somewhere around 9am. The group that had been dozing off in their chairs were all now wide awake as the grim-faced man came into the room that Neville rested in with a clear sigh of relief escaping his throat. He turned to Daphne first offering her a soft smile, "I knew you girls would save him."

Daphne stood from her chair and immediately moved to embrace him. Both arms wrapped around her giving the first feeling of safety since she had left his office nearly twelve hours before. He squeezed her tightly for a moment before releasing her, and offering her a sad smile.

Hannah shot into his arms next, kissing him on the cheek, "You saved him too Harry. We would've lost without you. Thank you."

"Well you see I was really looking forward to being the best man at your wedding, and couldn't let the bastard run out on you like that." Harry said, trying to sound cheeky.