Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Mr. Potter the death toll hit 250 this morning, what is the auror department doing in response to this heinous attack?"

It had been two days since the attack on the Quidditch World Cup, and the international community, as well as of course the British community were in a frenzy. Before Harry could answer the question another question came in heavy handed, "Reports say that you are responsible for over three dozen of those confirmed kills, but the Minister of Magic took away the aurors right to lethal force. Will the Ministry be leveling charges against you sir?"

Daphne was sitting in the visitor gallery watching the press attempt to crucify Harry in the conference that had been called for by Kingsley. She could tell the last question irritated her boyfriend when his knuckles turned white from his grip on the podium, "It has been long known that any witch or wizard regardless of profession has the right to defend themselves in a life or death situation with any means necessary. My best friend, and partner died in my arms, so any action I took against the threat against us was well beyond justified. As for what my department is doing-"

A wizard in the front stood shouting, "There were no survivors of the ICW task force that was assigned to help us in our moment of need. Why did they turn on us?"

Harry took a deep breath clearly trying to control his frustration, "It is the auror department's belief that Captain Jason Jackson hand selected a group of mercenaries that were looking to target the British people and some of our nations higher profile citizens. We do not believe the agents killed were ICW Aurors and Hitwizards with the exception of Captain Jackson. There is a joint task force being put together to look further into how this happened, but right now we don't have an available answer."

Daphne took a deep breath hoping her boyfriend would not start cursing the media at any moment. It had been a very rough few days for their friend group, and the Minister had not helped by calling this press conference so soon after the attack. There were still so many questions, and not a lot of answers to go around.

Daphne hadn't heard the question, but Harry looked pained, "I have not spoken with the Wizengamot on what is to come, but with the Bones line now officially being gone from the world I am sure a new family will be honored with the selection in the next meeting. Please keep further questions about auror involvement as I do not have any details on what the Wizengamot will decide."

The young healer wanted to scoff that someone had been insensitive enough to pose such a question, but did nothing as she watched her boyfriends patience slowly ebb away when Rita Skeeter stood up and asked, "Director Potter the people of Britain are scared. We have never seen such a devastating attack on our country even during the last Blood War. What is the auror department going to do to keep us safe, when clearly the head of the department is one of the primary targets?"

The room went silent with that question, and Harry blinked hard while staring at the woman for a long moment before speaking, "These men and women that are targeting prominent British Citizens are no less cowardly than the ones my friends and I defeated five years ago. They are still wearing masks. They know the world would not tolerate this sort of open defiance of the status quo, and that is why they hide. That is why they are paying mercenaries to get their hands dirty instead of facing us on honorable terms. I offer the challenge to any out there that wishes to take more British lives to come and face me themselves, but these cowards will not accept. They will operate in the shadows for as long as they can. In the meantime my department will work on illuminating these threats and snuffing them out. If that means throwing them in the deepest darkest security hole in the world then that is what we will do. My department will show strength, and resilience in the face of adversity, and I promise the citizens of Britain that as long as there's breath in my body I will do everything I can to protect our people...No further questions please. Good day everyone."