Chapter 33: Pain

Bethane's POV:

We eat the delicious dinner my mom made in complete silence. Not a word is uttered. Even when asking for a specific dish we want to try, we just point or whisper inaudibly.

I notice Rider's leg bouncing because I know he hates silence. I also know that he's holding himself back since he's aware that my father isn't the biggest fan of him, so I try to think of a solution before he explodes.

In the heat of the moment, I discreetly rest my hand on his thigh, which in my defense, was to get his attention so I could've offered him my bracelet to mess around with. Although, in Rider's point of view, I just randomly touched his thigh which is very close to other areas. He also happened to be swallowing his food so I think I made it go down the wrong pipe by accident because of how he subtly starts coughing.

That was my bad.

I decide to pull my arm away, but almost like he instantly feels it, he grabs my hand and interlocks his fingers with mine, rubbing circles with his thumb on the back of my palm. He's still getting rid of his fits of coughs but quickly recovers by clearing his throat.

Both of us look at my parents.

My dad is doing a mixture of eating his food and continuously glaring at Rider.

My mother, on the other hand, is chewing very slowly, obviously holding back a smile like she knows something which I'm not even aware of.

Dessert rolls around, the pie my mom made almost bringing water to all of our mouths. Still no words.

We've finished eating. We're still staring at each other. The most we have all said is how good the food was and that my mom is a great chef.

"Well...let's get some sleep shall we," words are finally spoken and I am ever so grateful for my mother. "You two are probably exhausted after the drive here. I already set up Bethane's room, but if y'all need anything else, let me know."

We both nod.

"In the same room?" my dad questions disapprovingly.

"No Phill, I was planning on putting them on the roof," my mom replies in between her teeth while smiling. "Your father's tired so we're going to watch a movie in our bedroom. Goodnight sweetie." She pulls my dad away while mumbling some things to him which don't sound too nice.

"Was the sweetie for me or Rider?" I sarcastically ask.

She smiles over her shoulder. "Let's leave it up for interpretation."

I smile in return before watching them disappear around the corner.

Rider and I stand awkwardly to go wash our dishes and then head to my bedroom.

When we enter with our bags still being carried by Rider no matter how much I persisted that I can help, I see my bed is well-made, my carpet is spotless, and basically everything in here looks perfect.

"Remember when you fell out the window in your other house," Rider randomly reminds me of that fond memory while setting our things down on the floor.

My mouth opens. "You were rushing me." My excuse doesn't seem to work as he laughs with a sarcastic sure.

The realization doesn't hit me that we're going to be sharing a bed together until Rider shuts the door and the room fills with weird tension. Not as weird as that dinner, but still weird.

We've never shared a bed for a whole night. Ever. Now I don't know what to do. One, we're friends so there's no way in hell I'm sleeping beside him, and two...that's all I need.