Chapter 11: Boyfriend

Bethane's POV:

"...so after I almost killed an entire city, it worked out and now I'm working at the research company which is one of the top ones in the state," Faith finishes her story, and I don't know whether to be proud of her or super concerned.

"Damn," we all say in unison.

"What about you?" Ben asks, putting all the attention on me.

"I uhh...am interning at a law firm," I sum up while my fingers are harshly picking at my nails.

Like I've said, I hate unnecessary attention on me. It makes me feel selfish and all-around sick. Plus, whenever I do begin to tell someone something about myself, I feel like I'm putting people to sleep with my words, so I usually push the attention elsewhere so I don't get embarrassed.

"Don't be so humble. You're going to be a lawyer before so many people! Be proud of yourself," Yasmin encourages.

Though her words are very sweet, the focus everyone has on me is the only thing running through my mind and I hate it.

"How's your music going?" I try to divert the top to Yasmin.

She thankfully begins to tell us about how she's still trying to become a director in an orchestra which is her lifelong dream, but still hasn't made it there yet. I know she will because no one is as good at music as she is.

The afternoon goes by, and I don't even think about anything else besides what Faith, Ben, or Yasmin are talking about. I actually needed more things on my schedule, so this perfectly worked in my favor.

"Well, if you see any boy candy." Ben gives a pointed look towards all of us as we stand outside the bakery.

The reminder that I have to find someone too dawns on me, and my heart begins to pick up with panic again. I still don't get why I told Rider that awful lie, but here we are.

Wait! What if...no. I can't do that. But...no Bethane, that would never work. And it's wrong!

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Faith asks me, making me look up from the floor.

I look instantly at Ben, and the next few words just sort of slip out before I can stop them.

"Will you be my boyfriend?"

I feel so horrible for asking something like that because I don't usually ask people for anything. Also, it's a very weird question to ask randomly.

Ben stares at me blankly, and even the surprise from Faith and Yasmin's expressions can be felt on the side of my head.

I know it sounds stupid, but I also know I can't just get a random guy to pretend that we've been dating to prove to my ex that I don't care about him. Because that isn't crazy.

"Umm...Bethane, I don't know if you this," Ben grits his teeth together in awkwardness. "But I'm gay," he whispers behind his hand like I didn't already know.

"I know that," I say in a duh tone considering Ben and I have similar taste in fictional characters.

"Well, then why'd you ask me to be your boyfriend?" He laughs at the obscurity.