Chapter 16: Apartment Hunting

Bethane's POV:

I can't work.

I can't focus.

I can't do anything!

I thought it was because I was uncomfortable so I changed into my comfortable pajamas.

That didn't work.

I thought it was because I wasn't focusing hard enough so I put music on to tune myself out of the world.

That didn't work.

I hit my head against the table.

That didn't work either!

My essay is sitting flat out in front of me with two words written. The title which was given to me by my professor. I haven't even written my name yet.

Usually, this stuff is easy for me. Doing a bunch of work and thinking of ideas on the spot is no sweat, but right now, I'm dying all because I'm thinking of one sentence to write. One! I tried to do some early work for the law firm, but I couldn't even do anything with that.

Am I dying? I have to be. This has to be early signs of me dying. Maybe I need a walk.

I stand up from my chair and begin to stroll around the house since I could basically get a mile in if I were to walk every inch of this mansion. I can't go outside because it's two a.m. and being a woman and all, so this is the next best thing.

As I'm downstairs getting my mind cleared of any thoughts which could be distracting me, I don't even realize Roman is down here and standing in the kitchen until I finally lift my head.

I hold my heart instantly because at first, I thought he was a shadowy figure in the dark, though he just wears his casual expression while taking a sip of his water.

"Ever heard of a damn warning!" I whisper-yell.

"Says the one whose been pacing so much that there's probably a whole-ass trench in the ground," he retorts, and I send him a glare.

Because he appears to be sweating and is in his workout clothes which consist of gray sweatpants and a regular T-shirt, I'm guessing he was in the gym downstairs and that's why he isn't asleep.

Yeah. The gym. Like an actual, full-size gym with literally everything you can imagine. I swear, they could open this place as an activity center and make billions.

"You know you were mumbling to forget about Rider out loud, right?" he confirms just to be sure I know.

My eyes widen, but I try to cover it up instantly. "No, I wasn't."

Wow, I'm an awful liar.

"Ok." He shrugs, not giving a shit as he grabs his water bottle and begins to walk away, but now I have to stop him.

"Wait." I pull his arm back before he gives me an 'I knew that was going to happen' sigh.

"How do you stop thinking about someone?" I question. I must be going crazy if I'm asking Roman for advice on something like this.