Chapter 9: Music Room

Bethane's POV:

Flashback:

Thursday, October 12

It's been a week since that whole Rider limping thing happened at lunch. I've still been avoiding him at all costs, but it's a little hard since he's in a bunch of my classes.

School isn't too bad and I've gotten used to it. It's still very big nonetheless so it's hard to find my way around it. I'll get there though.

I walk out of the classroom once the bell rings when all of a sudden, Yasmin speed-walks up to me in a hurry.

"Hey, do you mind helping me with something? I'll give you a ride and it shouldn't take very long." She looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Umm." I look out the front door since Roman is probably waiting for me in his car.

A text buzzes in my back pocket and I grab it to see who it is.

Roman- I have practice today so you mind staying after school?

Never mind then.

"Sure," I agree to Yasmin, and she smiles excitedly.

Me- You're fine. A friend offered to give me a ride.

I hit send and wait for a reply just to be sure he knows my answer.

In a couple of seconds, another text vibrates my phone.

Roman- Which friend?

Yup. I was expecting that. Roman is just like my father, even when we were super little. He didn't want guys being around me since he didn't want me to get hurt. I remember Ivy, me, and him were all having fun at a trampoline park and a random little boy came up to us, trying to steal one of the blocks Ivy and I were holding. Roman literally pushed that kid into the pool of blocks with no hesitation. I guess growing up with Ivy taught him to always be protective of any woman.

Me- Yasmin. She's in our first period and I'll text you when I get home.

Roman- Okay. If you change your mind, I'll talk to the coach to let me leave early and drop you off, so just let me know.

I send a thumbs-up before putting my phone back in my pocket. Yasmin begins to walk toward an empty hallway and I follow behind her. Everyone is already in their cars and buses by now, so we only pass by a couple of teachers who smile and nod at us.

"Sorry about bugging you. I just need to complete this music project for this program I'm in and I need some help," she explains.

I shake my head at her. "You're fine."

We walk down a row of steps as Yasmin leads me into an enormous music room. The place is filled with chairs and stands, as well as instruments hanging on the walls with little tags on top of them, I'm guessing for the names of the students they belong to. The place is mostly black, including the walls, and there is one rectangular stand in the center for probably the instructor.

Yasmin walks into another room and comes back out with a camera while I'm looking at the most beautiful guitar that I've ever seen in my entire life. It's not only shiny, but the light, rustic color makes it look vintage, yet also completely brand new. I quickly snap a picture of it because it's literally stunning and I wanted to take more pictures of things.

"You play?" Yasmin's voice makes me turn around after I've put my camera away, ushering to the guitar.

"A little." I shrug.