Chapter 26

Aubrey Hall
Carina's POV

Today was the day if the Hearts and Flowers Ball. The hall was in chaos as servants prepared for the evening. We were advised to spend our day outside yet I did not want to.

Dressed in a light purple day dress with matching pearl accessories, I walked to the library. I grabbed Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and sat down on one of the couches. An hour and a half later, I finished the book. I decided to get up and find another book.

Getting up from the couch, I approached the bookshelves once more. Scanning the shelves with my eyes, I found the book I wished to read next. I felt a presence behind me but though nothing of it. Reaching out, I attempted to grab Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen when another hand grabbed mine.

I turned my head to the side and saw Anthony, his face mere inches from mine. Heat rose on my cheeks and my heart began to beat in my chest. A deep breath escaped my parted lips.

"Might i help you my lord?" I asked him.

He said nothing. One hand of his snaked around my waist, the other was on top of my hand. Anthony quickly spun me around, my back hitting the bookshelf.

"I-is something wrong my lord?" I asked him.

I looked into his eyes. The flame of desire was swirling amongst the golden flecks. He was breathing heavily as his face inched closer to mine.

I pushed him away and ran out of the library and to my room. My goodness, whatever had gotten over him. The sensation of his hands against my body still lingered. Something within me yearned for the feeling to return to me causing a bright red blush to appear on my face.

I looked over to my bedside table and saw the time. It was still early so I rang for a bath. Half an hour later, I was sat in a copper tub scented with roses and jasmine. I soaked for a while before getting out and calling Belle.

She helped me into my corset and applied a moisturising balm to my skin before adding rouge to my lips and cheeks. After that, she left.

I went through my wardrobe to find the perfect dress for later when I came across the most beautiful dress I had seen. It was a light cherry blossom pink, made of satin with a layer of chiffon over it. The dress had embroidered flowers all over it in a lighter shade of pink and had pearl and diamond beadwork with every flower. Across the shoulders and sleeves sat floral appliqués in different shades of pink. The waistband had a beautiful pink satin ribbon on it.

I accessorised with pearl jewellery. The necklace was a pink satin ribbon choker with a teardrop pearl hanging from the centre. The earrings were also teardrop pearls.

Swiftly, I twisted my hair into an elegant updo before stabbing pearl pins into the coiffure. To finish off the hair, I wore a silver tiara with pearls embedded. Before leaving my room, I slipped on my shoes and dabbed rose perfume under my collarbone and near my jawline. Then I head to Mama's room.

When I got there I saw her in a lovely seafoam green dress, to which she styled with silver jewellery. She seemed rather giddy about something, perhaps she had a drink. I took her arm and we made our way down to the ballroom.

Unbeknownst to me, this night would change everything....