Chapter 25

Aubrey Hall
Carina's POV

Being the only daughter of an earl had its benefits. Father never discriminated between Charles and I, regardless of what the ton said, resulting in my amazing hunting abilities.

When I was 3, Papa would take us out to the forest behind Howick Hall and teach us how to track animal prints. When I was 5, Charles and I were taught how to skin a deer and section it; pluck the feathers from birds and behead them; command the hunting dogs and the correct season for each type of game. From the age of 8, I was taught how to use a bow and arrow, a crossbow and throwing knives. Once I had reached the age of 13, Papa taught me how to fire guns from a flintlock to a shotgun.

Many called him mad for teaching a girl these things but no one could confront him about it due to his status. Queen Charlotte had even praised my abilities.

As I mentioned before, it had its benefits. The ladies of the ton were lounging around the lawn playing cards, bowls and pall mall, I, however, was gearing up for hunting.

I slipped on my hunting stay, a design of Papa to allow mobility and support. Over that, I threw on a petticoat and a dark green skirt. After buttoning up a shirt, I put on a darker green jacket. To match the ensemble, I wore black leather gloves and boots and grabbed a dark green hat. I put my brown leather pistol holster on my waistband and tied my hair into a low ponytail. I was ready.

Going to the front of the property, I met with the gentleman, my ladies maid following shortly behind. Gazes tracked me as I approached, some out of confusion and some of awe. Anthony turned around and he was speechless.

"Lady Carina, what are you doing here?" One gentleman asked.

"I am here for hunting." I replied. A fit of laughter erupted from the crowd of men.

"You. A woman. Hunting." He chortled.

"Yes. I do not understand what you gentleman find funny. I will have you know that I am fully trained in the manner." I told them.

Anthony looked at me before saying, "As long as she is trained, that is all that matters. Lady Carina may come along."

Many gentlemen complained however Viscount Bridgerton raised his hand, shutting them all up. I grabbed my shotgun from Belle before strapping it to my back. After everyone mounted their horses, we set off into the forest.

I rode alongside Anthony as I took in the surrounding area.

"What is it that we are hunting for Viscount Bridgerton?" I asked.

"We hope to find a deer as well as a few smaller game: birds and rabbits." The Viscount replied. I nodded in acknowledgement.

When we got to an open area, I dismounted. I looked around the area, including the floor, before I spotted tracks. They were large and heart-shaped signalling a stag. I began to follow the tracks, they were fresh so it was not hard to find the stag.

Standing all alone, grazing upon grass and moss, stood an elegant stag. I grabbed my shotgun and perched behind a fallen tree. After checking that the bullet was secure and ready, I heard footsteps behind me. I looked behind myself and saw Anthony, I signalled for him to be quiet and he nodded, signalling he understood. He perched beside me as I took aim. Taking a deep breath, I cleared my mind and corrected my posture. I shot the gun and heard the stag drop to the ground, letting out a grunt.

I looked to Anthony before nodding. We approached the carcass and saw that the bullet had pierced the back of the neck. I smiled and sighed. An instant kill, the animal felt no pain.

"Well done my lady." Anthony congratulated.

I turned to face him. "Thank you my lord. If you would be so kind, I require assistance bringing the body to camp."

"But of course." The Viscount smiled.

Anthony grabbed the feet while I grabbed the arms. It took little to no time to return to camp. As we approached, rounds of applause could be heard. They all began to congratulate Lord Bridgerton on 'his' kill, to which I raised an amused brow.

The Viscount Bridgerton announced, "Actually, the kill was not my own. It was Lady Carina's."

I smiled. Any man would've taken credit for the kill. Not Anthony. It was a trait of his that I greatly admired.

After a few hours of hunting, the sun began to set. Shades of pink and orange decorated the clouded sky. The hunt party began to make an advance to Aubrey Hall, the fruits of the collective labour in a wagon following behind.

I mounted my horse, making sure that my skirt was in the right place. Eventually, I set off, Anthony soon following short.