Chapter 7

LADY WHISTLEDOWN
SOCIETY PAPER
Wednesday, June 8th, 1814
___________________________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
___________________________________

NEW BEGINNINGS

Dearest reader, it is once again the beginning of a new season. With a new batch of eligible misses entering the marriage market, one can only wonder what will emerge. Place your bets, gentlereader.

Consider the jewels hidden away from our sight in the Sheffield sisters, Katherine and Edwina. The two young misses and their mother, Mrs Sheffield, had returned. After the death of the Mr Sheffield, second son of the Baron Sheffield, the girls return to society. Under the wing of their sponsor, the witty and wonderful Lady Danbury, the two girls are sure to shine.

Or perhaps the sharp-witted, sharp-tongued Eloise Bridgerton. After the illustrious match her sister, the now Duchess of Hastings, made, this young miss is sure to shine just as bright... That is if she can hold her tongue.

And the one many have waited for. Dear reader, this author is pleased to announce that Lady Carina Grey is returning to London. After her first season was cut short by unfortunate events, the young lady is back. Will this star shine as bright as she used to?

___________________________________

Wisteria House
Carina's POV

I was sat in my chamber, getting ready for my presentation to the queen. Charlie spared no expense on my new dress. He said, "As my sister and my ward, it is my duty to protect and provide for you."

The dress was beautiful. It was white with intricate gold accents. The embroidery was based off of greek and roman culture, following the neoclassical trends of the time. A golden laurel was embedded at the neckline; a diamond, enamel and gold star brooch sat in the middle. It's long train was a white brocade with golden embossing at the end. It connected to the waistline of the dress. At the bottom of the skirt sat an intricate pattern, including a band of laurel.

After putting on the dress, my ladies maid twisted my hair into a crown bun, leaving a strand to curl near my bosom. I placed a golden laurel tiara with enamel and diamond flowers. I matched the outfit with diamond jewellery and a golden laurel band around my bicep. I When I finished applying rouge to my cheeks and lips, I put on my white gloves and went downstairs.

We all got into the carriage and made our way to court. My leg began to bounce.

"Carina, please relax." Charlie said placing his hand on mine for reassurance. My leg stopped bouncing.

I was nervous, to say the least. After the events of the prior year and the complete isolation from society, I was terrified of entering it again. I was fully prepared, there was no doubt in that after honing my skills over the year but I was still anxious.

We arrived at the Palace and I was helped out of the carriage. I looked over to another carriage and locked eyes with Anthony Bridgerton. He gave me a curt nod and I smiled back to him.

Mama and I made our way to the waiting room while Charles went to socialise and talk business with the other gentlemen. A singular ostrich feather was placed behind my tiara.

The Stuard announced the eligible misses one by one until my time finally arrived.

"Lady Carina Grey, presented by her stepmother, The Right Honourable Dowager Countess Grey." The Stuard hailed.

Mama and I walked forward towards the queen. We both dropped into a low curtsey. Just like the previous year, the queen got up.

She inspected my face before saying, "My dear, your face has matured beautifully over this year. You are a paragon of beauty, blessed by God himself." She placed a kiss on my forehead before returning to her throne.

Mama and I returned to Charles and watched the Sheffield sisters as they were presented. All eyes were on the new faces. The elder one, Katherine, was pale with brown hair and blue eyes. Her sister, Edwina, resembled her mother perfectly. She was pale with blond hair and blue eyes. Her face was slightly freckled and slim.

After all of the presentations, the queen request all girls to come to her. She was declaring her incomparable.

"My incomparable," She declared, "is Lady Carina. She is my diamond. My star."

The ton broke out into applause, many of the debutantes had a deflated look to them. One Cressida Cowper, however, looked happy.