Chapter 18

Lady Whistledown
Society Paper
Monday 10th September
___________________________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
___________________________________

BORDEM

Esteemed reader, I'm bored. This previous month was far from exiting. Minus the marriage of the Earl and Countess Grey, the season has began to turn boring. Where's the excitement?

One can only hope that Lady Bridgerton's Hearts and Flowers Ball at the end of the month will ignite the sparks of romance and lure in the marks of scandal. One cannot wait to see the country seat of the illustrious Bridgerton family.

___________________________________

Carina's POV

I was sat in the drawing room reading Whistledown's recent paper. She was right, of course, nothing of interest had happened in August.

Today, I was wearing a champagne dress with intricate lace covering it. A belt of ivory and gold sat under my bosom matching the cuffs of the sleeve.

Charles and Mary were travelling through Europe on their honeymoon so they were not at home. Mama was sat on the couch opposite me embroidering lillies.

Vincent came in with a letter placed upon a silver tray. He approached Mama and she retrieved the letter.

She looked on the back to see a dark blue wax seal stamped with a bee. A correspondence from the Bridgertons. Mama opened it and read over it carefully.

"We have been invited to join the Bridgertons at their country seat a week prior to the ball." Mama announced.

"That is a most gracious invitation. We must thank Lady Bridgerton." I said.

"Lady Bridgerton was not the one who invited us dear." Mama stated, "It was the Viscount."

Blush Rose onto my cheeks. "Oh. Well we must thank Lord Bridgerton then."

I sat on the couch embroidering delicate flowers on a square of white cotton; I was making a quilt. I had decided to embroider mini white carnations onto the cotton fabric, sewing and concentrating, sticking my tongue out slightly for accuracy.

Vincent entered the room with a tray of tea and biscuits as well as a platter of fruit. "A caller has arrived my lady." He announced.

Placing my embroidery down, I sat up straight, ever wondering who would be calling upon me. My face lit up as Viscount Bridgerton entered the room. He had a bouquet of white carnations in his hand and my face began to heat up.

"Viscount Bridgerton, would you like to take a seat?" I asked him. Anthony took a seat beside me and handed the flowers to a maid.

"Tea my lord?" I questioned.

"Yes please." He responded and I got to work. I had a plan.

Shuffling closer to the edge of the sofa, I leaned forward, exposing my breasts slightly. I grabbed the teacup and saucer before picking up the teapot. Placing one hand on the lid of the pot and the other grasping the handle, I slowly and seductively moved my fingers around the lid, an innocent expression on my face. I was not wearing gloves due to it being the morning.

Anthony's breath hitched behind me and from the corner of my eyes I could see him staring at my bosom. I handed him his tea cup after stirring the sugar and milk into it. Our hands lingered, as did our eyes, as I passed him the cup. My leg brushed against his lightly sending sparks through my body.

"I would like to thank you, my lord. For inviting Mama and I to join you and your family in your country seat before your mother's ball." I said preparing myself a cup of Earl Grey tea the same way I prepared the Viscount's.

Anthony exhaled in almost a whimper. "I-It was no problem Lady Carina. You need not thank me." He exclaimed with a stutter.

I questioned Lord Bridgerton with innocence lacing my actions. "Is there something wrong, my lord?" I placed my teacup down and faced the viscount.

He looked nervous, did I make him uncomfortable? My face dropped.

"Not at all my lady." He reassured. "In fact, I could not be better. Being in your presence makes me feel happy."

Blush rose onto my cheek as our eyes locked. In this lighting, the golden flecks of his eyes shine through, luring me in.

Lord Bridgerton and I talked for a while until he noticed something.

"What is that?" Anthony asked, pointing to the embroidery.

"I am embroidering a quilt my lord, in hopes of giving it to my future child." I explained. "This panel, ironically, is white carnations."

The Viscount smiles and we continued our conversation until he had to leave and I had to prepare for the Vauxhall Ball.