Chapter 38: 'Let It Happen'

DAMON IS NOT A CAREGIVER BY ANY MEANS, BUT HE ISN'T ENTIRELY HOPELESS IF YOU COUNT THE TIMES HE TOOK CARE OF HIS BROTHER AS A KID, LIKE WHENEVER HE SCRAPED HIS KNEES OR SOMETHING, EXCEPT THAT ONE TIME HE ACCIDENTALLY BROKE HIS NOSE TEACHING HIM HOW TO THROW A RIGHT HOOK- BUT HE STILL HELPED WITH GETTING HIM CLEANING UP

And now, with an unconscious Bonnie in his arms as he races upstairs, he feels a protective instinct take over.

'Can I see it?'- fatal last words.

Laying her down carefully on his bed, he then rushes to the bathroom to wet a hand towel in the sink. He tries to keep a clear head as he rings it out then folds it and hurries back out to her. Lifting the limp figure to rest on his chest as he sits on the bed and scoots back until he's up against the headboard, he places the damp towel on her forehead, unsure of what else to do.

"Come on..." He begs softly, practically swaddling her, "Stop being dramatic, you're scaring the crap out of me."

His eyes peek at the cause of all this trouble, the device resting in her tight grip. He's almost startled by the sudden sounds coming from her moving lips.

"Bonnie, hey..." He removes the towel, thinking that she's finally awake.

He frowns when he sees that her eyes are still closed, but the muttering still continues. Even with his heightened hearing, he can't comprehend her mumbles. Her expression is becoming more and more distressed, her breaths and heartbeat quickening. Not knowing how else to help her, he decides that it can't hurt to take a peak and slips a hand under her fringe while the other pulls her in closer.

~~~

After running for what feels like at least a mile under a missing Southern Sun, the clouds above her become more threateningly grey. A familiar brown cottage with a black roof comes into her line of vision, the drizzling that suddenly starts motivates her for that last stretch uphill towards it. By the time she finds shelter at the home's doorstep, a full storm has broken out, rain showering down angrily. Finding that the front door is open, she hastily twists the knob with no hesitation and runs inside.

"Oh my god." Her huffs of disarray are muffled by the raging waterfall outside.

Realisation hits her as she takes in the familiar scenery.

"Emily!" She calls out, observing the candle lit living room in front of her, "What's happening? I don't understand. Emily, are you here?"

"Better."

Her heart nearly bursts through her chest as the male voice catches her by surprise.

"Damon...?" She struggles to catch her breath, "How're you here right now?"

"I may or may not be inside your head right now." He says casually, observing the room curiously with a turning head.

"What?" She exclaims in utter confusion, before she can absorb what he's just said, a noise startles her away from the door.

A loud banging accompanied by unsettling thunder sounds as someone knocks rapidly on the other side, putting them on edge.

What's caused her to be this unnerved the most is not only the absence of the woman from the past who usually leads her down this foreign memory lane or the sudden house guest on at door, but the scenery. Usually, her surroundings are glossy when she comes back to this time. Like a flash back or a dream, it was always visually clear that this wasn't her reality. But now, everything looks crystal clear and crisp. The floor beneath her feet is grounded and everything her hands have touched so far burns with actuality. The quality of what she's seeing intensifies as if she is really here, viewing someone else's past that's bursting with detail that she would not even be able to remember in her own.