Chapter 22: 'History Repeating'

DAMON IS MANY THINGS, BUT A COWARD HE IS NOT, AND NOTHING INSPIRES MORE COURAGE WITHIN HIM THAN LOSING SOMETHING OR MORE SO SOMEONE THAT HE CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT

Mystic Falls, 1864

A knock on the door woke up a sleepy Emily Bennett who answered it begrudgingly, a breathless figure stood on the other side of it.

"Damon, what brings-"

"Miss Emily, it's important- no imperative that I speak to you, please let me come inside." He said in one rushed breath, his form perspired and heaving.

"Come in, quickly," She let the man in then quickly closed the door behind him, "What are you doing here at this hour?"

She watched him take in the small room as he placed a palm on the mantel of the fireplace, "The truth is that I am a desperate man and I need your help. Name your price."

"I don't understand, Mr Salvatore."

"The town's Founder's Council knows that vampires roam the streets, that they are the cause for the disappearances and the bodies. Vervain is being sold by the bucket load at the apothecary. They are getting closer and closer to discovering the persons responsible- they will be hunted for their lives, whether by stake or by fire, it doesn't matter because when they find out who the vampires are in this town, they will be dead. So...name your price, because I can't live without her."

The witch looked at the young man who is too hopelessly in love to see that his heart will lead him astray.

"Will you help me?"

The woman, who had no idea at the time how much she would regret this decision, agreed.

"Yes, I can help you," She took a step forward, "But I need you to help me in return."

"I'll do anything."

"Is that a promise?" The woman lifted up an open palm.

"It's a deal." He shook her hand earnestly.

~~~

"Okay, fun's over, Caroline. You made a point, and I get it. Now give it back." Elena pleads in stress.

"What? Well, I didn't take it," Chestnut eyes catch something that quickly walks passed the bedroom door making the other two friends look in that direction as well, "What? What happened?"

"I don't know, nothing," The brunette then calls out, "Jeremy, are you home?"

The friend checks the hallway to see if her brother's home.

Bonnie spots the crystal on the bathroom floor, "Um, guys..."

Walking over to it and, despite the churning in her stomach, she picks it up. A warm lively heat is transmitted to her palm.

Both entry doors to the bathroom slam closed behind her.

"You guys, open the door!" She screams in fear as she tugs at the stubborn door knobs, feeling completely spooked, "Help me!"

All the lights in the house start to hauntingly flicker on and off.

Suddenly, her feet drag themselves to the bathroom mirror, a figure appears to be standing behind her in the reflection.

"Emily?"

"Bonnie! Bonnie! What's going on, Bonnie?" Elena cries from the outside.

Her attention doesn't sway away from the ghostly woman.