Chapter 30: 'Fool Me Once'

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN BUILDING UP TO THIS MOMENT, ALL THE PARTS OF HIS PLAN ARE FINALLY IN PLACE, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT'S SHORT FROM HIS LIST

"Bonnie," Damon sighs into his cell, "I believe that this is missed call number twenty-four or is it twenty-five?" He asks himself before sighing again, "I don't know, I've lost count at this point."

His steps slow down as he continues to pace up and down the indoor balcony that's on the third floor, giving him an aerial view of his empty living room.

Twirling the afternoon drink in his hand, he takes a sip and continues, "There's about thirty more seconds left before your voicemail box implodes so I'm just gonna skip to the part where I apologise, which if you've listened to
my other messages you'll know that this is officially take five," He laughs to himself pitifully, "I'm sorry, about the other night-about everything. Please call me back so that I can tell you that in person."

Hearing the timely beep, he pockets his phone and downs the rest of his Bourbon and gets on with the day.

After all, it's one he's been waiting for his entire second life.

Finding refuge in the study, he gets to working on his own.

"Anna took Elena." Damon's brother announces, urgently strutting into the room.

Unbothered, he continues to carefully turn the pages from the grimoire in his hands, "Yeah, I got that from your six hundred voicemails."

Hurried footsteps rush towards his seated form in one of the arm chairs, Stefan's brows furrow as he starts talking at a sped up pace, "Damon, all night long, every single street in town, I've been searching...what if your blood hasn't passed out of her system?"

"Well, at least you know you'll see her again."
He retorts bitterly.

A pentagon drawn of salt with a fire torch at each point? Could Emily be anymore cliché?

"Please," Stefan takes a seat on the edge of the couch next to him, "What do you know?"

She's supposed to be helping me with this, I can't read witch for shit, He thinks to himself, desperately wanting to ask the green eyed girl,

Why can't you answer the phone?

Are you ignoring my calls?

Where are you?

Are you too busy in bed, warmly cuddling up with that idiot-

"You were with Anna, you know where she's living. Just tell me where I can find her."

Looking up from the cryptic book, he almost admires his brother's persistence, if only he gave a damn.

"Nope, you can go, really." Giving him a fake smile, he goes back to his non-reading.

A sigh fills the air, "You know, all I can remember is hating you," Here we go, "There might've been a time when that was different, but your choices have erased anything good about you."

He lays the book on his lap, pretending to be curious as to where these ramblings are going.

"But see, I also know that you have just as much reason to hate me."

He looks back down at the spell book in disinterest.

"This all began with me. Katherine got taken away from you...because of me."

Blinking at him, he struggles to still see his point.

"...and I'm sorry."

Tapping the hardened page of the book, he looks at his brother with a false look of bewilderment, "Apology accepted."