Chapter 18: 'Haunted'

STANDING IN FRONT OF HER, IT FEELS LIKE HE HASN'T SEEN BONNIE IN AGES, EVEN THOUGH HE DELIGHTS IN HER SURPRISE, THE TWITCH OF A FROWN ON HER LIPS DOESN'T GO OVER HIS HEAD

"Hello, Bonnie."

"Damon..." Her loss for words is obvious and slightly worrisome as he's not used to being greeted by anything other than her big smile and immediate witty jabs.

Bonnie doesn't know what to say, not in the way she did at the back to school kicker where he also made an unexpected appearance, but something in the way that she genuinely didn't know how to use words to explain how she feels right now.

Shocked, confused and disturbed are all decent adjectives, but not fitting ones.

So, she just says what's on her mind.

"What are you doing here?"

His ignorant smile grows, "Enjoying a night out, you?"

She doesn't enjoy his humorous nonchalant tone. Nor does she enjoy the familiar words in his attempt to be funny.

Her grip on her broom tightens instead, "No, seriously, Damon. What are you doing here?"

"I thought you'd be happy to see me."

The words make her blood boil, for two reasons. Firstly, for his unforgivable actions and secondly, because of how she realises things will never be the same between them. Instead of getting all excited at the prospect of sneaking away with him as they usually would, she has to have this uncomfortable interaction.

"I know I haven't been around, lately-"

"I know, I listened to your voice message." She says blankly, unsure of how else to do this without while being emotionally vulnerable.

"Then you blocked me," His brows furrow as if he's trying to put two and two together as he analyses her like a difficult puzzle with missing pieces, " 'Can't say I'm not a little hurt-"

"Enough, Damon...just stop." He frowns at her.

"I don't-"

"Stop playing dumb, I know what you did," His head tilts, adding to the anger in her voice, "To Caroline...I know what you did to her."

A brief, but lingering silence proceeds between them as he straightens and his eyes open clearly at her, they look to the ground before settling back on her.

"Bonnie, you don't know-"

"I don't need to know anything other than what I saw..."

A beat.

"I saw you," A breath of courage enters her lungs, "I know what you are."

He steps closer, placing both hands on the edge the bowl. His head dips as he shakes his head disbelief.

Straightening back up again, hands at his sides, he looks at her and she, back at him.

"Guess the truth's out of the bag, huh?" Ignoring the panic rising in his chest, he crosses his arms, "You finally figured it out."