Chapter 20: 'Diabolic Master Plan'

AN UNDENIABLE LUMP FORMS IN DAMON'S THROAT WHEN HE WATCHES BONNIE WALK AWAY, RED AND BLUE LIGHTS HIGHLIGHT HER FLEETING FORM

"I guess we're done here."

He can feel that her words meant much more than the context they were said in and it's safe to say that she intended the ambiguity.

His fisted hand tightens around the crystal in his palm as he sees her pull out of the parking lot and race away.

Good, he thinks.

Although he had already decided that this end was only inevitable and that it's also for the best, there's another conscious half of him that calls bullshit.

The frustratingly relentless and indulgent part of him where he believes a once whole heart had lied, doesn't care for reason or responsibility, only for the things that he finds himself wanting.

Bonnie.

But that's done and dusted now, she's just expressed and confirmed so only a few moments ago.

Deciding to ignore what just happened, he re-centres his focus on the matter at hand.

The approaching police car leads him back inside the restaurant, leaving the officers to find his carefully laid bread crumbs.

Twenty-five minutes ago...

"Hey, come on."

"Where are we going?"

"No one's gonna see us down here."

"Are you gonna go outside?"

"Come on."

From the top of a set of stairs, Damon watched a high school couple getting cozy by the downstairs alleyway at the back entrance of the Grill.

When they separated from their kiss, he flashed out of sight.

"Did you hear something?" The girlfriend asked, hearing a strange noise of movement.

"Nah, it's cool. There's no one coming down here."

Less than a second later he sped down to the teenagers and came at the boyfriend from behind, sinking his teeth into his neck.

The girl frightened, screamed her head off, but was too frozen by fear to move.

He tossed the drained body aside then trained his attention on the one trembling in front of him. Quickly pushing her further into the wall, he brought his hand to her neck. Her panicked pants quietened when his narrowing eyes pierced hers.

"Your boyfriend is dead, a vampire killed him."

"A vampire killed him."

"A tall woman with very long blonde hair and brown eyes who goes by the name Lexi is the vampire you saw tonight. She's a new face in town, you've never seen her around before."

"Lexi."

"She did this, I was never here."