Chapter 34: 'Let The Right One In'

DAMON REALLY THOUGHT HE HAD MESSED THINGS UP WITH BONNIE FOR GOOD, BUT IN THIS MOMENT AS HE LAYS ON HER BED, HE'S HAPPY TO FEEL A WEIGHT ON HIS CHEST

Fingers curl with the fabric of a shirt in between them as her hand clutches onto it sleepily, his brows continue to furrow as he tries to decipher the mumbles that escape slightly parted lips.

He holds in a snort as the incomprehensible muttering continues. Looking down at the head beneath his chin, he can almost make out the slight frown on her face.

The rain that started as a drizzle the night before is now brewing into a full on raging storm, neon white stripes flash through light grey curtains. The sudden change of weather is unsettling as the annual April showers that are usually welcomed in the hot south are starting in March.

With a loud crack of lightning striking tree bark and a roar of thunder vibrating the soil of the Earth, Bonnie arouses from deep sleep.

Her eyes flicker open slowly at the loud weather, instantly something feels off. Instead of a soft pillow, her cheek is pressed against what feels like a hard slab of muscle and instead of feeling for slipped duvet covers, she feels her hand claw at a cotton-polyester blend material.

Her eyes close again as she sighs very tiredly, too exhausted to feel embarrassed about her vulnerability the previous night, she whispers, "You stayed."

She hears him hum in confirmation as fingers run through the much straighter strands that's attached to the crown of her head, playing with her trimmed fringe.

"You changed your hair."

"Yeah." She sighs again, holding back a yawn.

"I like it."

She tilts her head back to stare at him through narrowed eyes.

"What?" His eyes widen incredulously, "I do, it's hot."

Softly shaking her head, she slowly rolls onto her stomach, therefore lying on his as she lays her arms down to rest her chin on.

"I thought you had left town."

"I never left."

The news is surprising to say the least.

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Your friends think you're in Maryland," She looks down at his chest awkwardly, "But here you are, in bed, with me."

"Hey!" Playfully smacking his shoulder, she groans bashfully, "Don't say it like that."

"What?" He feigns cluelessness, shrugging, "It's true."

She rolls her eyes at him, "I'm going back to school next week, so shut it."

"Wow," His brows raise with surprise, "That's soon."

"Yep," She sighs, "It sucks, but I can't hide at home forever."

"Are you sure?" Her eyes flash to his at the gentle tone, "You don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

Green stares into blue thoughtfully.

"I know," She says softly, "But, I want to."

"You're sure?" He asks again.

"Yes."

She feels a middle and index finger start crawling up on the spine of her back.

"Really?"

"Really." The corners of her lips curl.

Fingertips continue upwards until they find the end of her vertebrae at the back curve of an upturned neck that are exposed by her camisole pyjama top.