Chapter 47: The New Generation

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Oh, come on!"

"Luke, I said no. Now back to the Dragonpit for you two before they send out a search party." Laenor closes the door behind him, giving one last nod to Harwin and Rhaenyra.

Once they were alone, Harwin hummed silently to Joffrey – who quickly dozed off in his arms. "You're asleep in front of the Commander of the City Watch," he teased. "Terrible lack of respect."

Rhaenyra chortled. "A certain insolence runs in the family, I'm afraid," she confessed.

Harwin didn't mind. Now that they were alone, he could spend quality time with his lover and their newborn son. For a brief time, the Bonebreaker could finally be the father to his children... but at what cost to his career? The future of House Strong? Or his standing in the Blacks?

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Lucerys grumbled at being sent away, not being allowed to at least get to hold his baby brother. Following behind his elder sibling, the two slinked their way to the Dragonpit. "It's not fair. I wanted to hold him," he complained.

"It can't be helped," Jacaerys replied. "You heard what father said. We've got to go to the Dragonpit and train our dragons if we're to be true riders one day."

"That's... true. But still..."

"Chin up, Luke. You'll get your chance someday. Maybe once we're done here?"

"Hey! Jace, Luke!"

Lucerys and Jacaerys turned their heads up to see their cousins – the twins Aegon and Viserys, as well as Daeron – waving them down. "Aegon! Viserys! Daeron," they acknowledged.

"Hey, you're on your way to the Dragonpit too?" Aegon inquired.

Jacaerys nodded. "Yeah," he answered. "I've got to train with Vermax some more. The Dragonkeepers said he's been getting pretty antsy."

"I hear you. Corxes is rather reckless being cooped up like that. What about Arrax?"

"Mm. I guess he's been needing some room as well," Lucerys suggested.

"Same here," Viserys replied. "Maelyx's been tearing up his cage... more than usual lately. Father said each of our dragons needs space to fly around and get some exercise if they're to grow bigger one day."

"Why the long face, Luke?" Aegon asked.

"Oh um, well, father wouldn't let me hold Joffrey and kicked us out."

"Aunt Alicent said mother needs a moment to herself after giving birth, right?"

"Yeah, it's best that way," Viserys replied. "Mother said a woman isn't at her best once she has a baby and all. Glad we're not one. But chin up, Luke. Things will look up for you."

Aegon grinned wickedly. "Before that, though, wait until you see what the rest of us have in store," he said.

That got Jacaerys's attention. "Wait, so you guys got it?" he implied.

"Oh, we got it all right. Me, Viserys, Daeron, uncle Aegon... it's ready. You want in on the details?"

Sensing another prank in the making, Lucerys eagerly nodded. This helped to lift his spirits. He was now excited to be part of having fun with his cousins.

"Well, since someone else is without a dragon..."

Pentos ― Prince Reggio's manse...

Across the Narrow Sea, in the Free City of Pentos, Caraxes glided across the ocean – tracing his tail above the surface – before raising himself higher into the air. Beating his wings, the Blood Wyrm ascended into the skies, passing by Pentoshi aristocrats.