4. Shout It From The Rooftops

"What was it like flying the Black Dread? You were Balerion's last rider."

"Only for a short time before he died. With Balerion died the last memory of Valyria of Old. But Vhagar still lives... somewhere." Viserys said with a sigh.

"Bit too large for the Dragon pit. Some would say too large for our world. Do you know where she nests?" Laena questioned.

"I'm sorry?" Viserys had too much on his mind to be talking dragons with a child, a child he was never going to marry, ever. He knew that for a fact, he didn't know why he was bothering entertaining the idea.

"Do you know where Vhagar is now?" Laena questioned kindly. 

"Snow I love you and Im an idiot!" Daemon ddclared. " you want me to shout it out."

"I will castrate you." Snow declared.

"I would never cheat on you. Never. Never. I will love you and only you until my last breath! I dont know why I hesitated. You are the one for me Snow!" Daemon swore up and down Snow Stark was his and his alone, he was her and hers alone. But he still needed to get his shit together, Snow knew he loved the thrill of life, so did she but she also knew his commitment phobia. 

Their world had shifted and shifted again and Snow didnt know if he could commit to her long term like she wanted to with him. 

"Snow you are my one and only!" Daemon declared. "You want me to shout it from the rooftops?"

"Sure." Snow agreed and Daemon smiled grabbing her hand and pulling her to the closest building. Snow laughed all the way up those never ending stares, Daemon never let go of her hand. Snow was in a fit of giggled when they made it to the roof. Daemon peered out looking around and moved to the ledge he jumped up standing on the edge. He extended his arms out to the side before shouting at the top of his lungs.

"Um, the Dragon keepers believe she made home somewhere on the coast of the Narrow Sea. The workers at Spicetown report hearing her song at times." Viserys told Laena. "They say it is a sad thing." Viserys added.

"I imagine even dragons get lonely. Your Grace... it would be a great honor to join our houses as they were in Old Valyria. I would give you many children of pure Valyrian blood so that we might strengthen the royal line and the realm." Laena told him, as rehearsed.

"Is that what your father told you to say?" Viserys questioned and she nodded sheepishly. "What did your mother tell you?" Viserys countered.

"That I wouldn't have to bed you until I turned 14." Laena told him honestly and Viserys sighed.

"It bothers you, does it not?" Rhaenys pondered. 

"My father is a king. It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line." Rhaenyra told Rhaenys.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you." Rhaenys repeated.

"Laena is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?' Rhaenyra countered.

"Of course, it does. But I understand the order of things.' Rhaenys told her pompously.

"I'm not sure you do. If you mean to elicit some anger from me, you should know that you're failing, Princess." Rhaenyra warned smugly.

"I DAEMON TARGARYEN AM IN LOVE WITH SNOW STARK! AND SNOW STARK IS MINE!" Daemon shouted.

"Good boy." Snow agreed as he jumped down. "Now come on, im craving some chocolate."

"Quite the opposite. Whether it's to my daughter or to someone else's, your father will remarry sooner than late. His new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better than not that one of those will be male. And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you." Rhaenys told her. "Because that is the order of things."

"When I'm Queen, I will create a new order." Rhaenyra told her confidently and the Princess Rhaenys chuckled knowingly.

"How I wish that could be, Rhaenyra. But the men of the realm already had their opportunity to appoint a ruling queen at the Great Council and they denied it." Rhaenys reminded her. Viserys stared up at Daemon and Snow as they laughed out Daemon shouted something Viserys couldnt hear but had the biggest smile on his face as he said it. 

"They denied you, Princess Rhaenys. The Queen Who Never Was." Rhaenyra recalled. "But they bent the knee to me and called me heir to the throne."

"Do you remind your father's men of that as you carry their cups? Here is the hard truth, which no one else has the heart to tell you. Men would sooner put the realm to the torch than see a woman ascend the Iron Throne." Rhaenys told her stubbornly. She had never got to be queen she wasn't going to sit by while Viserys daughter got everything she ever wanted. 'And your father is no fool.''

Rhaenyra peered over at Daemon's battle cry declarations and saw him with Snow. She didnt see why everyone was so obsessed with Snow Stark, she was a bastard after all, what was so special about her?