𝘋𝘰𝘤𝘦

"Mija, I was waiting for you yesterday but you never came looking for me

"Mija, I was waiting for you yesterday but you never came looking for me. What happened?" Ivan comes to the gazebo with his plate of breakfast. This will probably be the last time that we sit down and have breakfast together.

And I hate that.

I was supposed to talk to Ivan last night but I couldn't because all I could think about was that card. What did it mean I was living a lie?

Was it talking about my arranged marriage? Is that the lie I'm living?

My mind is running with hundreds of ideas of what it could mean or who could have sent it.

A part of me thinks it is Joseph because he's always given me red roses and my engagement has been all over the news but I don't think it is him. I have this feeling, this gut feeling that it isn't him.

I wipe my mouth with a napkin, quickly swallowing down the food that is in my mouth. "I know, I'm sorry. I wasn't really feeling well last night," I softly tell him. It's a half truth.

Ivan takes the seat in front of me, staring at me with worried eyes. "Is something wrong? Has Joseph contacted you?" He whispers the last part since he knows Luca is nearby.

"No, I just had an upset stomach, that is all," I lie through my teeth, picking up my fork and shoving a piece of melon in my mouth.

"Something is wrong," this time he isn't asking, he is stating a fact. My eyes move back to his face, noticing that the lines of his forehead are crinkled and his eyebrows are furrowed together.

"Nothing is wrong, stop worrying," I dismissively tell him.

"Lina, you know I always worry," he sighs and I feel the anger I have been keeping inside of me, begin to rise up.

I am angry at my father for everything.

For the argument we had.

For this arranged marriage.

For replacing Ivan with Danny.

For sending me away.

For not wanting to let me take Elena with me.

And for not loving me.

"Well it's not your job to worry anymore," I spit, glaring straight into his hazel eyes. He looks taken back by my sudden outburst. "You aren't going to be by my side all the time anymore. So, it isn't your job to worry anymore," my voice lowers, trying so hard to keep my emotions at bay but it's hard.

Ivan is more than a bodyguard.

He's a friend and most importantly he's like the father I have always wanted. The one I have always wished for.

"Mija, when I said I would always be there I meant it," his voice is filled with hurt. "I may not be your bodyguard anymore but I have been by your side since you were a baby and that isn't going to change now," he softly says and I watch as his eyes turn glossy.