𝘖𝘤𝘩𝘰

"I can't be with you anymore

"I can't be with you anymore." I deeply exhale, watching Joseph blink repeatedly at the words that just left my mouth. He's in shock, he can't believe the words I just said.

"Y-You-" he shakes his head and angrily runs his hand through his hair as his chest begins to heave from his harsh breathing. Fuck, he's angry.

My hand nervously plays with the rose pendant Ivan gave me, ready to press it at any moment that Joseph does anything.

"I can't be with someone that I don't feel safe with. I can't be with someone that has killed people. And I can't be with someone who has hurt me," I whisper the last part and watch as Joseph's eyes sadden.

"N-No, Lina..I didn't mean to hurt you-you know that," his voice breaks and he reaches for my hand but I pull back, shaking my head at him. "L-Lina, please, I said I was s-sorry," he stares into my eyes with his watery ones, silently pleading with me.

"Joseph, I don't know you anymore and I-I don't even think I ever did," I breathe slowly, trying to keep myself from crying. He lowers his head and begins to quietly cry in his hands. "I tried..I tried to be with you despite everything but after these past couple of days you have shown who you truly are," I sniffle.

"B-But you s-said you loved me," Joseph removes his hands from his face and lifts his head, showing me his red eyes.

"I do, Joseph," I heavily sigh. "But I'm tired of always defending you even when the things you do are completely wrong. I can't let you hurt me anymore," my voice comes out shaky as I watch a couple of tears stream down his face.

"I-I can change," he cries while fidgeting with his hands. "I'll do b-better..but please don't f-fucking..leave me," he stammers and my heart can't help but ache at the sight of him.

"Lina, I-I love you so fucking much," he takes a deep breath and tries to wipe away the tears that won't stop coming down his face. "Please, don't do this to m-me," he begs and my vision begins to blur with tears of my own.

"No," I try to sound as stern as possible. He places both of his hands on his face and begins to cry into them. "This is over, Joseph," I briefly closed my eyes, letting my tears fall down my cheek.

"You need help and I won't let myself be hurt by you because you won't get it," I release a shuddering breath. Don't cry, Lina. "And I have a duty to my father...and I can't fulfill it if you are in the way," I thickly say.

"It's better to end it before anymore people get hurt..before you get hurt," I continue to explain to him, hoping that he is listening to my reasons since his face is still covered by his hands.

"If you love me and I mean truly love me, you will leave me alone," I carefully whisper, letting another tear escape my eye as the words that come out of my mouth not only hurt him but hurt me as well.

His body begins to shake with every quiet sob that escapes his mouth. I quickly look behind me to see Ivan signaling to his watch that it's almost time to go.