Prologue

5 YEARS AGO...

He pressed the knife against the man's neck, the runes on the blade glowing.

"This is your last chance, Dr. Jerydonn," he growled. "Where is the serum?"

Dr. Jerydonn smiled but quickly stopped when his kidnapper pressed the knife harder, sending a single drop of blood trickling down his neck.

"Alright, stop! I'll tell you." Dr. Jerydonn relented. His kidnapper narrowed his eyes and released the man from his knife's grasp, but still kept a firm hand on him.

He muttered some coordinates, a location, and sixteen numbers to the kidnapper, who hurriedly scribbled them on a sheet of paper. He folded the paper neatly and said, "If you are lying, well," he took a pause and continued, "Prepare to see how strong you really are."

"Oh, brawn is not an issue. I only need my wits." Dr. Jerydonn replied. "Also, about the serum... I wish you the best of luck," he added sarcastically.

His kidnapper waved a dismissive hand at him and smirked. "I won't need it."

After following the coordinates, the kidnapper finally reached where the supposed serum was being hidden. It looked exactly as he had pictured: a desolate, run-down building, a sixteen-digit code lock and so on.

He simply keyed in the numbers that Dr. Jerydonn had given him. His eyes followed the 'enter' button, which had quickly changed into an aquamarine dot, before outlining a large square, leaving a glowing trail in its wake. The outline glowed even brighter, before dimming and moving forwards slightly. The kidnapper gave a quick glance at his surroundings before pushing the wall-turned-pivot door. The second he entered the room, he turned back only to see the door retracted back inside.

His sharp eyes scanned the room anxiously. Cell samples and diagrams had been plastered on the walls of the room. A microscope and some other laboratory equipment were lined up in a row on a countertop. A large glass container sat at the far end of the room, with several test tubes and a few small bottles inside.

He tilted his head slightly and took out a small metal disk. The top was clear and a purple cell could be seen. Pressing the sides, he activated a laser that scanned the surroundings before landing on a stand on the table.

The kidnapper walked towards the table with bold and confident steps. He held up the bottle, carefully unscrewed the cap, and lifted it up to eye level.

This was it.

He tipped the bottle over.

Nothing came out.

Nothing.

5 rough, desperate years of searching... all lead to one conclusion.

There was no more serum. Not even a drop.

He threw the bottle onto the floor. The resounding crash that followed echoed off the laboratory's walls as the bottle shattered into pieces. His body shook in an uncontrollable rage, like a bomb due to explode any moment.

His glare fell onto a monitor on the table. Five pictures of five teenagers were on the screen. No names, no addresses, no data... only the bold words.

DOSE TAKEN

It was all he needed.

He picked up a shard and gripped it tightly, causing his palm and thumb to bleed. He would come for them. He would make them pay, and nothing could stop him.

~

So that was my first attempt at writing intense suspense scenes. Did it give off thriller vibes? :P

I hoped this chapter set the tone of the story. If you read Small Paws, Big Pride, you would know that it's a cheerful, funny children's book. So I wanted to try something different this time.

Who do you think the kidnapper will go after first?