Troubled:

This story starts in the modern world :) 

~*~*~*~

Ephesians 2: 8-10 "For by Grace you have been saved through faith. It is not your own doing but a free gift from God."

~*~*~*~*~

~Summer~

I sat perched on the edge of a cold metal chair in an even colder office. My case worker sat beside me with her hands folded in her lap. The lawyer sat behind his large desk typing something on his overpriced Macbook. I picked at one of my finger nails and watched as a red bubble welled up from the crease. I wiped it on my black leggings and winced.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Summer Jakeman and I am an item in a system. Or a ward of the country I guess. My mom passed away and my dad moved to Europe with his new wife and left me in the "Capable hands of the government". I was only six when he dumped me off at "Your new daycare." He never came back. My case workers tried to find relatives but with both sets of my grandparents either deceased or in full-time care and the fact that both my mom and dad were an only child there was no one to raise me. So I raised myself with a little help from a bunch of random adults I met along the way. Now I'm here. 17 years old with no sweet clue what I am going to do with my life.

"Miss Jakeman, If I'm correct, you're asking us to put you in a state home instead of private foster care?" The lawyer asked.

"Yep," I stated.

My case worker nudged my leg.

"Yes sir," I said.

He looked up at me, "unfortunately the state homes are crammed enough as it is but we do have a family willing to take you." 

Oh thrills. My anxiety began to creep through me so I messaged my fingers, "Okay." I said quietly.

Just like that I was getting shoved off to another home. Hopefully this one was like the last. I shivered at the sound of glass shattering in my mind.

Meaghan walked with me to her car. She put my backpack and small duffle bag in the first seat. I seated myself in the car and put my seatbelt on.

"Well, I know this family and they've been foster parents for years. I think you'll like them."

I shrugged with tears in my eyes.

"The Smiths are both older so I'm sure they will leave you alone. The husband is a little strict so behave yourself."

I nodded and smiled slightly at the idea of more independence. Meagan drove out of the city. I rested my head against the window and watched as the buildings turned to forest, then to farmers fields. The sun streamed down from the clouds in shafts of brilliant yellow light. God lights, as my one foster mother had called them. I watched as a flock of birds flew up from the corn and flew across the road in front of us.

"Dang creatures," Meaghan chuckled as she slowed the car down. The birds vanished into the field and we continued.

Before long we drove up a dirt road to an old house. The gray farmhouse sat on a hill surrounded by trees. I love nature. I clicked my phone on. No service. Not that it mattered anyway. I don't have friends. My friends are books and books don't need cell service.

I grabbed my bags from the car and was met by an older women with soft green eyes and her gray hair braided back.

"It's nice to meet you summer!" She squeezed my hand. "I'm Gloria Smith. Welcome to our home."

I smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. She was the first Foster parent to not toss me a look for my blue ends.

"She's a little shy," meaghan added.