Chapter 8: Responsibility (Part 1)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Chloe began to clap, "I see. So instead of putting my strength in one strike, I spread it to three."

"For the most part yes," Mask nodded. "When you practice Flare, complete your regular routine but with the three hit combo instead."

Master Lanton scratched his chin, "So the 2nd strike is paired with the 3rd."

"Yes and no. When you practice Flare be fluid. Choose when to pair the 1st or 2nd with the third depending on the situation."

The Guild Master sighed, "And this is why I became a Strike Master. It was much simpler when you just swung really hard. It looks even harder than Flow."

"Well it's the least popular for a reason," Mask nodded in agreement. "Now Chloe let's-."

Just as Mask was about to assist Chloe with her own swings, the door to the yard opened and Lana quickly made her way toward them.

"The City Lord just made an announcement," her eyes showed concern. "Important guests from the Church will arrive at noon and the city are to welcome them with open arms."

"Hmmm, just what is he planning," Master Lanton sheathed his sword. "Corvis, what will you do."

Mask smiled, "Well we might as well check it out."

**

Though noon the city of Toren was painted a dull grey. Thick clouds remained above letting down soft sprinklings of snow. The weather was quite good for midwinter and due to that the street outside the east gate was lined with curious onlookers. Mask and Chloe were two of them amongst the crowd. They stood close to the front, Chloe held up in Mask's arms to see.

"Is it okay for us to be out like this?" Chloe asked. She hadn't left the guild since the incident a few weeks back.

"The city lord wouldn't dare pull anything on us with the Church watching so closely," Mask replied confidently. If it were just himself he was confident that the city lord wouldn't try anything. The problem was Rector who Mask assumed was still snooping about.

"I've never seen a Paladin before," Chloe looked towards the gate excited like many of those around her.

"They're a prudish bunch. They follow the Church doctrine to a tee and are all the level of Master."

"Are there any stronger than Master?"

"Yes, but they're not called Paladins. They are the Arbiters of the Church and calling them prudish would be an understatement."

"They're coming!" Chloe squealed and tightened her grip where she held Mask.

Two lines of armoured figures riding on horses reached the city walls. Six in total they each wore refined silver armour, an engraving of an eye on their breastplate and upon the red cloaks they wore. The leading man however was gilded in gold, his armour a step above the others. The six men dismounted as they entered the city and walked alongside their horses. As they reached the crowds they took off their helms, appealing their good intentions.

"Wow," several of the women and even men around them let out gasps.

The man who led the company, the Paladin at their head, his face was beautiful to the point that it couldn't be real. Masculinity that had been paired with a gentle yet rugged flare. His simple smile spread among the people like a fire securing their hearts. Skin, tanned ever so slightly and bright green eyes that perfectly suited his chestnut hair. Mask hid his frown. Men who were that handsome usually weren't human, but the Paladin at least wasn't a fay or beastkin.