2. Chapter (The Hand Most Sought In Matrimony)

Start from the beginning

"We could not refuse your gracious invitation," Eliza replied, gesturing toward the dormant roses. "When they bloom, they shall transform Taverley into a veritable paradise," she added. However, they had already arrived at a majestic door that resembled a portal to another realm.

The Duke smiled and glanced in her direction. "You did utter the same sentiment last year, and I wholeheartedly concur, for with their blooms, the castle does not resemble a haven for the denizens of night and hell."

"Oh, Taverley is the most splendid castle far and wide! And assuredly, you do not evoke the image of a horned creature," exclaimed Aileen.

"Aileen!" Elizabeth called out but succumbed to the duke's laughter. Her voice echoed through the grand halls of the mansion as they strolled past portraits of the duke's ancestors, making their way into the opulent salon.

"Why do you perceive your abode in such a harsh light?" Elizabeth inquired, as they were passing a large painted portrait of many of Leighton's predecessors.

"Have you not seen my dwelling from the northern side? It is all dampness and decay. We had to relocate the left wing, for the rooms there are slowly succumbing to mould, starting from the very foundations. The right wing fares no better, with its plaster cracking despite thorough reinforcement done years ago. My aunt, who resides in one of those chambers, jokingly calls it an involuntary application of face powder," he replied, a wry smile playing on his lips.

The conversation flowed effortlessly, their laughter filling the air as they exchanged stories and observations. The duke expressed his desire to demolish the castle and erect a new abode, even expressing his disappointment that the architects and restorers from Italy, who had been expected for months, had yet to arrive in Rochester. Eliza, however, offered a different perspective.

"Nay, I beseech you! Were I in your place, I would rather wait, for perhaps the architects possess a solution unknown to you at present. By the way, you mentioned your aunt. How is she faring?" Eliza gracefully transitioned to a new topic, her eyes taking in the exquisite salon fit for royalty. The grandeur of the room could rival even that of King George's, an impressive feat that left her in awe.

"She was unwell, but fortunately, it was nothing serious, merely a chill. At present, she rests, otherwise, I would have escorted you to her immediately. By the way, where is your sister, Isabella?" the duke inquired, curiosity evident in his tone.

Eliza artfully shielded her sister once again, fabricating a small tale of Bella falling ill and needing time to recover before the upcoming ball scheduled for the following week. The conversation continued in a tranquil atmosphere, interrupted only by the arrival of a servant announcing that lunch was served. They ate in silence, savouring the exquisite cuisine prepared by the duke's skilled chef.

After lunch, they ventured outside for a leisurely stroll through the castle grounds. Aileen's eyes widened as they approached a magnificent greenhouse nestled among the gardens.

"Forgive me if my eyes deceive me, but is this not the grandest greenhouse I have ever beheld?" exclaimed Aileen in awe.

"Aye, Lady Aileen, it is our family greenhouse. And at this hour, you are likely to find an exceptional gardener within, for without him, the flowers in the vicinity could not flourish. He shall undoubtedly regale you with tales of his saplings and cultivated roses, hidden away in the winter garden," the Duke remarked, glancing at Aileen with a playful wink which she understood.

Moreover, the young and spirited lady didn't require much to kindle her curiosity, and her inherent inclination to delve into matters veiled in mystery would later lead her onto critical junctures in her life. However, that was to transpire much, much later—now she could revel in the ignorance befitting an eighteen-year-old lass.