Chapter 45: The Orange Queen and the Black Prince

Start from the beginning

"You know they're going to come at you again from different angles, brother," Rhaenyra commented. "With each one felled, the Caltrops grow increasingly more desperate."

"Let them fumble in the dark. It's pointless to challenge our house's power, Rhaenyra," Aeonar replied. "But I must admit, whoever is providing them with the information is a clever man indeed... or a woman."

"Have your people provided any clues as to who could be backing them?"

"Not yet, no. And with each suspect caught, the results have always been the same. Their tongues were cut out."

"So that means whoever hired them is going through painstaking measures to ensure their identity remains hidden."

But for how long? They all get exposed eventually. "Indeed. We appear to have some decent competition since our agents began crossing paths. Their arrival was barely an interruption. All their deaths cost me was time."

"Well, we do know that Beatrice isn't clever enough to handle this herself – so she had to look elsewhere for a mutually beneficial partnership. Whoever they are, they won't remain hidden for long. Aren't the Lykirī Mēre renowned for blending in with the shadows?"

"The Lykirī Mēre's reputation was well-known in Old Valyria – before the Doom, before the Faceless Men. Much of the known world simply forgot how deadly these assassins can be."

"Speak for yourself. That little stunt with wildfire wasn't exactly... subtle."

"Extreme, but necessary. You don't enter the dragon's lair unless you're prepared to face the consequences."

"Just be sure you keep your tracks covered, brother."

"No need to worry yourself, Rhaenyra. I always have a contingency plan just in case something goes wrong."

Rhaenyra looked skeptical. "In anything, I've already arranged for a celebration for Jay and Aemma this afternoon for claiming Vermithor and Silverwing," she informed. "I figured it appropriate for their father to celebrate this momentous occasion with them."

"Already?"

"I didn't sit with my hands on my ass doing nothing all day. Jace and Luke offered to make it more festive. The boys wanted to help their cousins."

"I see."

"One way or another, you will be spending time with your children. Ser Harwin and the others will take care of the rest in the meantime."

Aeonar rolled his fine. "Fine," he conceded. "But the first sign of trouble, I need to know about it."

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

Later that evening, in the great hall, a celebration was being held in honor of the newest dragon rider; all the lords of the Narrow Sea had been invited.

Lord Bartimos Celtigar, who had brought several casks of his finest wine from the Arbor, raised a goblet towards Jaehaerys. "To the new rider of Vermithor, who shall one day ascend the Iron Throne as Jaehaerys of House Targaryen, the Second of His Name. May he be as wise as his namesake." He turned to Aemma. "And to our young fair princess – for taming Silverwing as our late Good Queen Alysanne Targaryen did before her."

"Here, here!" the assembled party exclaimed as they raised their drinks to the blushing prince, unused to so much praise and attention.

Jaehaerys scratched the back of his head.

"Here, Jay," Rhaenyra presented a gift. "Your mother and I know how much you love books. So, to commemorate the momentous occasion of taming Vermithor, we brought you something to read in your downtime."