xxxviii.

[It's 2:12 A.M.. I am too afraid to sleep. Here's an update. -M]

Harry didn't know when he had fallen asleep, but it hurt like a bitch when he woke up to answer his phone, not at all pleased to see who was calling.

"What do you want from me?" he asked in a whisper, not wanting to wake up Louis. Although he had to admit, he really wanted Lou to open his eyes. He wanted to make sure his baby was feeling okay and he couldn't quite ask when all Louis did was sleep.

"It's your dad, he's not doing so well. Doctors say its stress. I think you should come apologize for what you said. I think it will clear matters up," Harry's mother spoke.

Harry's eyes went wide, "you're kidding me, right? I have nothing more to say to him. He doesn't deserve an apology or my sympathy. He wouldn't even be here if he wasn't running off shooting people. This is his karma."

"Harry, I think you're being so close-minded right now."

"Close-minded? The man shot my boyfriend after beating him. I think I have a right to be angry at him and insist he doesn't deserve an apology," Harry replied, trying to keep his voice down, which he was failing to do. He stood and walked toward the opposite corner of the room.

"I just think you should try and talk to him about this. Hear him out."

"Mom, there is nothing to listen to. I no longer want to associate myself with him. He's the one who decided I'm not to be a part of the family anymore, so we'll leave things has they have been for the last several years."

"Don't you want things to change? Don't you want to patch things up with him? He's getting old, Harry. He'll be gone before you know it," Harry's mother commented.

Harry had often times thought about this. He thought about trying to fix things with his father. He thought about what life would be like, living with the rest of his family once again and honestly, he didn't like the idea. He knew that by being a part of the family, he'd be constantly judged and ridiculed. He knew that he'd never be able to bring Louis to family dinners because of how close-minded his family is to different people. And he knew that he couldn't live life knowing his father was disappointed in him.

He had always wanted to grow up and impress his father. He always wanted to make something of himself to show that he is smart, he is strong, he is not a quitter and never has been. But his father couldn't look past his sexuality. He'd rather disown his son before he even thought of acknowledging Harry's accomplishments throughout the years.

It's as though the fact Harry was gay defined the rest of him. Because of what sex he preferred he was imagined to be a fashion designer who talks with a fake accent to make them seem more posh. Or a hair dresser that spends his days styling ladies' hair as he sipped on a fruit smoothie he whipped up. Or he was seen as a player who preyed on younger men to take to bed to sleep with one night and push out the door the next morning. Harry wasn't seen as the well-respected detective he was and that killed Harry more than anything else.

"We're done here. Don't call me again," Harry stated simply, hanging up just after he finished speaking.

On the other line, his mother pulled the phone away from her ear and hung her head. His father looked up at her, "it's not worth it."

"I just thought he'd come," Harry's mother admitted. She walked toward the hospital bed and ran her fingers through her husband's hair.

"I shouldn't have-I should have accepted him for who he is. I-it was hard for me. I just always imagined him growing up to have a wife and kids and a stable job. I didn't think he'd-I thought things would be different."

Harry's mother smiled, "I know, dear. But you can still get to know him-accept him. There's still time."

The older man sighed, "not much though."

.

"I've got good news for you, Styles," Ed said through the phone.

"Oh yeah?" Harry said with a chuckle, "what do you have for me?"

"Hospital just called Cris' boyfriend who called me, since we're tight like that, and turns out Cris will be free to go in just a couple days," Ed explained.

"That's great to hear!" Harry commented, trying to shove a dollar bill into the vending machine. All he wanted was his Cheez-Its goddammit. "Is everything good with him? Nothing's broken, right?"

"I'm not sure about the details, but it sounds he's doing well. You might want to stop by and see him since he's awake and can respond to people," Ed recommended.

"I'll try to do so," Harry said, "I'm still waiting for Lou to wake up."

Ed sighed, "Hazz, you're going to have to leave that room before you suffocate or something."

"Whatever, I'm taking a walk right now, mind you. I'm now enjoying a bag of Skittles since the vending machine refused to give me Cheez-Its."

"Harry-"

"I know, I know. I'll go home to sleep once visiting hours are done which is at like seven tonight so I still have like five hours. There's no rush. This is Louis we're talking about. I'll wait by his side as long as I can."

"I know you will, which makes you a great guy and boyfriend. But you still have to take care of yourself, Harry."

Harry smiled, happy that his friend cared so much, "I know, Ed. Don't worry. I'll be fine. Now stop worrying about me and do something with your life, fool."

Ed laughed and then they both hung up. Harry walked back to Lou's room, walking in to see bright blue eyes staring at him.

"Hi."