xxix.

[Mm, so I said I wouldn't update, but then I decided that homework and life can wait because I need some me time. (Don't stress the small stuff, children!) So, please enjoy this quite cute update that's kind of a filler but also kind of important... :) -M]

"So we're looking for someone with no connections to Zayn or Louis? Maybe this was just an accident. He tried getting into some guy's pants and they didn't like that," Cris said. He sat sideways in his chair, his feet dangling off the side. He twirled a pen between his fingers as he watched Harry pace back and forth.

Harry ran his fingers through his long hair, "I don't fucking know any more."

"There's no need for vulgar language, Mr. Styles," Cris commented, "just let the ideas come to you, don't force it."

Harry continued to pace back and forth, trying to come up with something—anything—that could help him out. "There has to be something we're missing, Cris."

Cris nodded, "there's always something we're missing. What are you do to when you only got puzzle pieces and even they're scattered throughout the city?"

Harry silently agreed, knowing very well that he should just go home and sleep on it, well, more like Louis' couch, but whatever. He just couldn't let whoever did this get away with it. What if they had already fled the country!

"We could look at the possibility of this being a serial killer. Maybe Zayn was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," Cris offered.

Harry shook his head, disagreeing at that, "I think we would have seen more by now. And the whole case seems so personal. Maybe someone knew more about Zayn's past. Maybe we should look into that old best friend of his, the one who's dad had hurt Zayn and him."

Cris yawned, exhausted from running around the entire day, "can't that wait 'til tomorrow?"

"Justice never waits, Harper," Harry commented. Both chuckled and then Harry nodded, "I think it's about time you get back to your boyfriend or whatever."

Cris smiled, "he's actually going to be my husband some day. Well, I hope. He's...he's special, you know. He's like the Louis to my, well, you." Cris blushed at that, "I'm gonna ask him to marry me. I don't know when, but it's gonna be soon."

Harry smiled too, excited to hear such great news. (It was about time he got some positivity in his life.) "Then go home. Spend some time with him. It's only, what? Ten-thirty? Go see your guy."

Cris' grin widened as he went to back up his things. He stopped before walking out the door, turning to look at Harry who was hunched over his desk, "you should try to go home, too." Harry turned to look at Cris while he continued to speak, "that boy needs you right now, Harry. He doesn't know what to think, how to feel. Go comfort him, let him lean on you, be there for him. He loves you, I can see it in the way he looks at you."

Harry didn't reply as Cris walked out the door. He took one look at the pile of paper work on his desk and let out a sigh. He sat down and pulled out his phone to call Louis.

"Hi, this is Louis," Louis greeted over the phone. Harry always loved the way he picked up calls. It was quite adorable in his eyes.

"Hi, love. I just wanted to let you know that I'd like to spend the night at yours tonight, if that's okay with you. I mean, I don't need to, but I really want to. I just wanted to ask for permission because that may throw you off, I don't know. I just, yeah, that's all," Harry spoke, trying not to sound that awkward.

(He failed.)

Louis smiled on the other line, "yes! Please come over. I mean, I'm already in bed, but, but, but you can always come by and I'll let you in and we, we can cuddle. I really miss cuddling with you. I want to cuddle with you."

Harry laughed, "of course. I'll be right over. I'm leaving work now," Harry replied, throwing his coat over his shoulder, "and Lou?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Louis' smile seemed to stretch for miles on end, "I love you, too."

.

Louis really liked quiet nights. He liked being able to lay in bed for a while and read for thirty minutes. It cleared his mind and focus on something other than his clock that's tick-tick-ticking. He likes being able to think as someone else. He liked reading someone's thoughts, trying to figure out what they were to do next. There was something powerful about reading—something inspiring—that made him bring the story to life in his head.

"What are you reading tonight?" Harry asked, his arms wrapped around Louis' mid-section. He pressed a gentle kiss to Louis' shoulder.

Louis giggled, "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream," he replied, "it's by Shakespeare." Louis cuddled into Harry a bit more, their bodies closer together. It was a good feeling to be this close to someone, Louis had thought. It made him feel like he was beginning to see the reason why people like Romeo and Juliet did crazy things like kill themselves for love. Although, he would never quite do something like that. That's just nonsense to think about.

Louis looked up at Harry and rubbed their noses against one another then Louis leaned in to kiss Harry. Harry thought that Louis and him made a good team, that they always had each others back.

"Harry?" Louis stated as a question, not really sure where this conversation would go. Harry hummed as a cue for Louis to continue speaking. He turned on his side to face Harry, tracing random figures on Harry's pajama shirt, "you are my healer. Now, I know that sounds really bad," Louis tried to defend, "but it's true. Before you, I was...well, I was in my little bubble. It was a very small bubble consisting of only three people: Liam, Zayn and myself. Thanks to you, my bubble has expanded—exploded! I've been introduced to the harsh reality of the world. Even when it becomes too much for me to handle and all the bad news on the T.V. hits me hard, you're there. You're like the really awful glue that sticks to me and that's not me saying that I think you're awful, but you're the glue to fix my broken pieces. And this is really cheesy and I'm sorry that I'm becoming more like you, but, let's face it, you're rubbing off on me."

All Harry could do was chuckle and lean down to kiss Louis because, goddammit, he would have cried if he had any more time to think about it.