Ardor

You sought Doctor Jung.

In moments like these where uncertainty washed over you, you wished you could call the office, talk to Miss Wheein, and have her schedule you in for an emergency session like the old days. You desperately sought Doctor Jung's wise but comforting words, perhaps even his thoughts and approval. What was the right choice?

The crackling of woods drifted you from the growing doubtful thoughts.
Moments after you and Jungkook had arrived at his place and opened a bottle of Merlot, it began to rain heavily and thunder.
Amid a heavy conversation, the lights of his house suddenly went off. After a few failed attempts with the electrical enclosure box in his garage, he decided to not be discouraged by the storm and make the date night cozier.

Tea lights covered the surfaces of the kitchen while the fireplace brightened the living room. The orange, gentle flames cast a soothing shimmer over the otherwise pitch-black house.

You adjusted your posture and sat more comfortably on the floor as the acrid smell of charred wood filled the air. You sipped on the wine, captivatingly staring at the comforting flames that danced as you drifted back to the conversation you had with Jungkook before he left for the bathroom.
Though you were unsure why your mother didn't tell you he visited, a part of you wished he hadn't mentioned their discussion. It left a rather horrid taste in your mouth. Despite how glad you were that he stood up to her, you feared that she wasn't wrong.

The thought itself made you nauseous.

A moment later, Jungkook announced himself with a slight cough as he made his way down the stairs. He ran his hands through his hair, further disheveling it. You filled his glass and slid it over the coffee table before you absentmindedly stared at the fireplace.
"What is it?" he asked, his voice calm.

"Nothing, I was just thinking."

"About?"

"About what you said about my mom, then about you and me."

"Should I not have told you?"

You shook your head, reassuringly smiling at him but you caught his worried expression, "I'm glad you told me. Actually, if I'm being totally honest, I was thinking of Doctor Jung."

"Hoseok? Why?"

"I was just wondering what his take would be-- if he also agreed with her."

"Well, I do agree with her."

"You do?"

"Yes, to a certain extent but I won't ask you to stay."

"What makes you think I want you to?"

"Doctor Jung," you frowned and he grinned, "He mentioned once, or twice, that we kind of rely on each other."

"I am relying on you to be honest and to tell me what we both know you're feeling."

It fell quiet. You studied him as he absentmindedly played with the rim of the glass. The orange hue of the fire illuminated his features, his expression unreadable as you patiently waited until he formed his thoughts.
"I'm not going to ask you to stay, Shorty. I love you too much for that and I care about you too much for that. Besides, as much as I hate this separation, I understand you made this choice for yourself. I wasn't a factor then and I believe Hoseok would agree with me when I say, it's okay to be a little selfish and prioritize yourself."

"He did say that."

"You know his answer deep down. So quit overthinking things, we have a plan."
You watched him as he sipped on his glass and then placed it on the coffee table to roll up the sleeves of his white dress shirt.