The Family Glue

⚠️🔞
mention of physical abuse

You exhaled softly as you bravely glanced over at Jimin's Mother.

She began to tremble, visibly upset as her bottom lip quivered at the horrific news. She spoke incoherently, shakily murmuring and cutting off her words as she desperately tried to wrap her mind around her abusive ex-husband.

Your Father cupped her hands as he explained how their appeal wasn't substantial in comparison to his model behavior behind bars.

The system worked ... or so, they claimed.

Jimin's Father had zero records prior to his arrest then, with that and his ability to stay away from trouble within his time, he proceeded to become what the system claimed to do for those imprisoned.

He was rehabilitated.

You were unsure of what to think about it and based on your Stepmother's reaction, you could sense she had her doubts as well.

It was bound to happen. You all knew it and there were no going around that fact.

When he was taken into custody, trialed and then sentenced with 26 years, your family was aware the day would arrive. It was going to happen eventually. He would get released. However, none of you figured he'd get out with six years remaining.

It shook all of you.

In all honesty, Jimin's Father was someone you hardly talked about. None of you had spoken much about his appeals either and it was something that was often forgotten about and placed at the back of your heads.

Well ... perhaps for you that was the case.

You were the sole person who didn't have any real connection to the man. It made sense he didn't dominate your thoughts. However, you couldn't say the same about the rest of your family.

The only thing you knew was he was appealing his sentence.

He began two and a half years ago. It was denied multiple times but this one, somehow, stuck.
You weren't sure what he had done to get the approval but it didn't matter. The fact remained.

He was out.

You vividly remember your Father going to the prison and adamantly speaking against him and the release. Sometimes your Stepmother bravely would join him and other times, it was your Father only.
You didn't recall Jimin appearing in those appeals but in all honesty, your life had its own concerns before it had gotten hectic.

In a little bubble of your own, you had completely forgotten about the significance of yesterday. To those that mattered the most, you had forgotten about it; all of their worries about the release was not a factor in your life.

How could you?

This was your family. Something major happened to your Father, your Stepmother long before she became that and also to your brother. There was no excuse. You should have remembered the date of his release, how important it was for everyone and yet, you were being selfish again.

You ripped your gaze from your parents and listened as your Stepmother tried to make sense of the news. You couldn't look at them. The overwhelming sense of guilt clutched your heart as though a fist was squeezing it, inevitably making your chest ache and you couldn't help but choke a little.

Jimin, who distanced himself from the area the rest of you sat at, stood by the fireplace with folded arms. Your eyes met briefly but he hastily turned away.