The Invisible Red Thread: Invidia

*⚠️// trigger warnings: mentions of cheating

A wave of faint sounds of knocking woke Fatou. She groaned his name, caressing his bareback as she believed someone was at the front door. At first, he dismissed her concerns but woke up once he heard the knocks traveling throughout the house. He fetched his sweats from the floor before he rushed down the stairs.
The knocks grew louder once he entered the dark living room. Annoyed by the continuous knocking that seemed as though the person on the other side was creating a beat, he sprinted toward the entrance to unlock the door. He sprung it open to be greeted by the last person he expected would show up on his front porch. Bewildered by the sight of you hugging your frame, he stared at you with confusion.
"Hey." He glanced around and above you after he read a hint of sadness coating your eyes, "Hey."

"Hi..."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I... Umm, I'm okay."

"W-why...? What are you doing here? What's going on?"

"Nothing, nothing is going on."

"You've been... been crying though."

"Yeah... a little..." You murmured, "I... Umm..."
You approached the door and he stiffened when he caught a whiff of your fruity scent. He clutched the door handle and grew aware he wasn't wearing a shirt when your gaze stole glances.
"Well... Umm... There-there's a reason for that."

"Are you okay?"

"Can we talk?"

"Now?" He searched your eyes with a frown before consulting the clock above the television set behind him, "Well, I... I don't know, Shorty. It's 1 AM though." He whispered before turning to you, "Can-can it wait?"

Your gaze remained glued on his, searching for something as he attempted to understand why you'd show at this late hour. You whimpered, trying to hold back whatever sadness you experienced earlier by hugging yourself tighter. A sudden glistening coated your eyes and a small pinch ached his heart. You were in pain. Unbeknownst to why he questioned you once more but you remained adamant about coming inside to talk. He hoped nothing serious occurred yet another sudden dreaded pinch pierced his entirety when he remembered Fatou was upstairs. The last thing he wanted, especially after her forgiveness, was for the two of you to meet.

"Why now? What's wrong?"

"Can we not do this here, please?" You sprung your arms out, distress coating your voice before you hugged yourself again and you closed the distance between you, "It's kind of important and I'd rather not be out here."

He shrugged with a curious expression in his eyes to which you responded by entering the house. He studied you as he tugged his hands in his sweatpants, resting his head against the entrance wall while you took in as much as you could of the dark living room. You'd never been in his new place and he didn't want to rob you of the opportunity to assure his safety. The sound of your heels on his wooden floors echoed through the room. He couldn't tell what you wore underneath the creamy-colored and thin coat but guessed by the black heels, you were at an event of some kind. You never were the type of woman to get dolled up unless there was a special occasion.

"It's spacious."

"Yeah..."

"Do you like living here?"

"It's quiet."

"A little too quiet if you ask me." He grinned as did you when you lost your balance for a split second and stumbled on something, "Shoot! Ah, I'm sorry."
You dropped one of the boxes with court files onto the floor and the loud thud echoed through the living room. He rushed to pick it up as a sudden worry washed over him. Surely, that woke her up. He gathered the files into the box and shooed you from assisting him.