Taking the 1st step

"Kang Soojin"

Han Seojun's loud shout stopped Soojin on her track. The other students were still rushing towards the door.

"What is it?", she snapped even without looking back.

"Why did you do it?"

"..."

"I am talking about Jugyeong."

Everyone else other than them had already left the basketball court. The silence was getting on his nerves.

"What about her?", she slightly turned her neck, looking back at Seojun.

Taking steady steps towards her, Seojun pulled her to face him and looked into her eyes before asking, "You really don't know what I am taking about?"

"Is there something I should know?", Soojin smirked. Their faces were just inches apart.

"Stop with the foul play. I know its you. Aren't you guilty?" Seojun asked loosening his grip from her arms, he was already having a hard time trying to control his anger.

"Guilty of what? I just brought out the truth. I didn't lie. She was just a pretty facade", Soojin spoke coldly. What she said were facts, she didn't lie atleast.

"Aren't you guilty of hurting your friend?", Seojun snapped out. He had expected her to have atleast a little bit of guilt.

"Guilty of hurting my friend. Right. Friend. We were friends who shared every secret", Soojin replied sarcastically, removing her arms from his hands. 

The shield was broken. Her voice broke as she spoke out the last line. Her eyes were getting teary.

"Is it worth breaking friendship over a boy?", Seojun asked softly.

"I did not break the friendship. How can I do it when she did not even consider me her friend?"

"You are getting it wrong."

"Wasn't it prominent that I like Suho? Why didn't she ever tell me? Atleast I could have prepared my heart to broken."

Her eyes spoke more than her mouth. The pain of rejection was visible in her eyes. The sound of her trust breaking was louder than her words.

"It hurts even more when you are rejected and someone whom you consider to be your best friend",  he mumbled under his breath. The storm inside his head was raging.

"Why does he love her? Because she is a happy-go-lucky girl. Because she goes around joking and playing, keeping him jolly. And thats the exact reason why even you love her. Is being stress-free the key to happiness? Then why am I working my ass of? At the end, I will never be happy."

Seojun stumbled on his feet trying to prevent him from kissing the ground after the unexpected push from Soojin. 

"Don't you dare tell me her personality attracted you", she warned him even before he could utter another single word.

"I might be wrong but she is no right. She is just a damsel in distress and you guys love the feeling of superiority when you save her", Soojin snapped and left, leaving behind Seojun in a loss of words. 

He knew she wasn't right but she wasn't completely wrong. Even he could see that Soojin was interested in Suho which means even Jugyeong could see. Why didn't she tell Soojin that even she liked Suho?

---------------------------

No sooner the bell rang, all the students had gathered in the canteen. Taking her plate, Soojin sat in the corner. She had no interest in being the witness to Jugyeong and Suho's love.

THUP

Soojin looked up to see it was Seojun who had placed his bottle on her table. The loud noise he had created a moment ago had successfully gained attention and all the students in the canteen were staring at them, eagerly waiting for any drama to begin.

Picking up her plate, an irritated Soojin left the canteen, only to be followed by Seojun till they reached the classroom. 

"What's it?", she asked annoyed. The morning drama was enough for her and now he was following her.

Seojun did not waste a minute before grabbing the empty seat beside her.

"What's wrong with you? I am not Jugyeong. Go and play with her. Why are you irritating me? Or is she busy with Suho and has completely forgotten you?"

Soojin's words hit like arrows on Seojun's newly broken heart. But he had a bigger mission in mind- Bringing back his best friend's life on track. 

"I was wondering how you are sure that Suho would have loved you if Jugyeong wasn't here."

Finishing her bite, Soojin looked up. The guy was casually sipping his drink after shooting the question. She was confused. Confused like hell. She had expected him to burst out. From where did a guy like Seojun get so much patience from. Or was he planning something else?

"I am not sure. But I could have hit on him. I could have taken care of him to show my sincerity and supported him blindly till his heart would have finally melted. I can't do it now", her voice had softened as she kept staring at Suho's place dreamily. 

"You really love him, nah?"

"Hmm."

"....."

"Why do we love someone?"

Seojun was left blank after hearing Soojin's question. The more he talks to her, the more was he loosing trust in his judgements. It was all blank and white before, and now there was a sudden appearance of grey shade.

The way her eyes were fixed on Suho's empty seat was heartbreaking. Did she love Suho more than he loved Jugyeong? 

"Why do you love him?"

"I don't know. Maybe because he was the first one to see through me and hold the broken pieces together, although for just a moment." She had subconsciously began to rub her palms against the thick material of the skirt, opening up the wounds which hadn't recovered yet.

Although half of her words went above Seojun's one-way brain, he tried to empathise with her. Maybe she could move on soon and after that...

he himself has no idea of what he is supposed to do after that.

But for now, he knew he had to lift up her spirits.