Conversations

Jules Pov:
I take a deep breath to soothe my nerves and exhale. "It's not that deep, calm down." I thought to myself.

     "Good morning, darling." She says rubbing her eyes and entering the kitchen, a smile growing across her face as we make eye contact.

      "Good morning, Lizzie," I said smiling, crossing my fingers behind my back hoping that my nerves wouldn't blow my cover. "Hungry?"

     "You made breakfast?" She asked making her way over to me. I nodded in response moving aside to show her two plates with pancakes for the both of us. "Aww," she said turning to me before pulling me into a hug. "This is the sweetest thing ever. Thank you, sweetheart."

     Melting into the hug, all the thoughts in my brain fizzled out and the nerves disappeared into thin air. I quickly put my discoveries of this morning aside and hugged her back tightly before pulling away and smiling. I grabbed the plates as she made her way to the refrigerator, pulling out a syrup bottle.

     We made our way to the table where we sat down and ate our breakfast. I refrained from making eye contact in an attempt to gather my thoughts and see how I was going to navigate the morning to try and get as much information without becoming suspicious. "So... how'd you sleep?"

     "I slept well. Hey, I'm sorry about last night. I was just..." she trailed off, playing with her fingers, "I just...I had a bad dream about Bry-" She paused, "Bryan" I finished in my head. "Uhm... someone coming after me and I just got scared and I...I don't know, I just kind of freaked out. But uhm I don't know why I got so scared I mean I haven't seen said person in months and I just..." She stared at her now empty plate, moving leftover syrup with her fork. "Just... thank you- for helping me last night. I shouldn't have come crying to you... but I did uhm and you were a big help. Thank you and I'm sorry."

     I had never seen someone be so vulnerable, let alone a teacher. Sure, I've played therapist for a fair share of years, but I've never had someone be open to me without expecting me to be just there for them. I also couldn't help but focus on her comment about not seeing someone, Bryan I assume, in months. Realizing that I had been staring at her for a long time when she began to nervously giggle, I shook my head slightly, snapping me back to reality. "Uhm... no, no. Don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm just happy that I could be there for you." I tried smiling reassuringly to help her feel better about the situation." I cautiously thought about how to approach the "Bryan" topic. "Uhm, so..." I said trying to sound nonchalant, "Who uhm... who was the dream about?"

     "Uhm... no one important. So... did you want to get ready for the day?" She asked avoiding the question. I stayed quiet and simply nodded, hiding my disappointment at my failed investigation.

     "Ok," she smiled, standing, "you go ahead and shower first I'll wash the dishes and get you a change of clothes. Do you remember where the restroom is?"

     "Uhm... no." She laughed at my shy response, "Don't worry sweetie, it's down the hall, first door on the left. There's towels in there and feel free to use whatever. There's toothbrushes in the sink drawer. I'll bring you clothes." I nodded and shyly laughed before heading over.

Lizzie's Pov:
I washed the dishes, reflecting on what exactly I had told Jules and how I was going to tell her, if I ever did, about Bryan. "Ughhhh," I sighed out in annoyance as I finished washing the dishes making my way to my bedroom.
I stared at my closet thinking about what to give Jules to wear. Finding grey sweats and a blue crew neck, I called it a day and got myself ready to shower.
————-

     Fog steaming out of my bathroom into my bedroom, I changed into some light blue jeans and a blue and white sweater.

     I quietly laughed at myself hearing the water running in the hallway bathroom, the faded hum of Jules singing to herself.

    "Hmmm... where is it?" I asked myself looking for my starfish necklace. I paced around my room trying to remember where I could have possibly left it. "Oh my goodness, I'm so dumb," I said face palming. "I had it on last night."

    Entering the guest room I recalled the events of last night and cringed at what a mess I had been. Trying not to think any longer about it I beg sun to look for the necklace and... there it was on the counter. Just as I was about to step out of the room in the corner of my eye I saw something off. "Why's the closet door open?"

     Reaching out to the closet for handle, opening it ever so slightly I saw my hidden box. My eyes hardened as I remembered it contents. "Hmm," I bummed noticing the box wasn't in the way I remembered leaving it, "Why's the lid ope-"

    "LIZZIE!" I heard Jules call out, startling me. "Shoot!" I exclaimed re bering I had forgotten to take her the clothes I set aside for her.
    "Coming!"
__________
A/N: hiii i'm still alive lol. ermmm idk what to say other than the weeks b4 winter break are brutal so hang tight (i'm gonna drop outta school if these ppl keep it up 😭😭) also special thanks to my english teacher for being so boring to the point i was able to write over half of this story in class 🙏