𝐇𝐁𝐏 𝟒

Start from the beginning

"I wouldn't go in the kitchen just now," warned her, "There's a lot of Phlegm around."

"Don't be mean, Ginny." Emily sighed.

Sure enough, when she entered the kitchen it was to find Fleur sitting at the kitchen table, in full flow about plans for her wedding to Bill, while Mrs Weasley kept watch over a pile of self-peeling sprouts, looking bad-tempered.

". . .Bill and I 'ave almost decided on only two bridesmaids, Ginny and Gabrielle will look very sweet togezzer. I am theenking of dressing zem in pale gold – pink would of course be 'orrible with Ginny's 'air-"

'Ah, Emily!" said Mrs Weasley loudly, cutting across Fleur's monologue. "Good, I wanted to explain about the security arrangements for the journey to Hogwarts tomorrow. We've got Ministry cars again, and there will be Aurors waiting at the station-"

"Is Tonks going to be there?" asked Emily, sitting next to Fleur.

"No, I don't think so, she's been stationed somewhere else from what Arthur said."

"She 'as let 'erself go, zat Tonks," mused Fleur, examining her own stunning reflection in the back of a teaspoon. "A big mistake, if you ask –"

"Yes, thank you," said Mrs Weasley tartly, cutting across Fleur again. "You'd better get on, Emily, I want the trunks ready tonight, if possible, so we don't have the usual last-minute scramble."

And in fact, their departure the following morning was smoother than usual.

The Ministry cars glided up to the front of The Burrow to find them waiting: trunks packed, Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, safely enclosed in his travelling basket, and Hedwig, Ron's owl Pigwidgeon, Emily's owl Dice and Ginny's new purple Pygmy Puff, Arnold, in cages.

"Au revoir, 'Arry, and Emily." Fleur throatily, kissing Harry goodbye.

Ron hurried forwards, looking hopeful, but Ginny stuck out her foot and Ron fell, sprawling in the dust at Fleur's feet.

Furious, red-faced and dirt-spattered, he hurried into the car without saying goodbye.

There was no cheerful Hagrid waiting for them at King's Cross Station. Instead, two grim-faced, bearded Aurors in dark Muggle suits moved forwards the moment the cars stopped and, flanking the party, marched them into the station without speaking.

"Quick, quick, through the barrier," said Mrs Weasley, who seemed a little flustered by this austere efficiency. "Harry had better go first, with-"

She looked enquiringly at one of the Aurors, who nodded briefly, seized Harry's upper arm and attempted to steer him towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten.

"I can walk, thanks," said Harry irritably, jerking his arm out of the Auror's grip. He pushed his trolley directly at the solid barrier, ignoring his silent companion, and found himself, a second later, standing on platform nine and three-quarters, where the scarlet Hogwarts Express stood belching steam over the crowd.

Emily, Hermione and the Weasleys joined him within seconds.

Without waiting to consult his grim-faced Auror, Harry motioned to Emily, Ron and Hermione to follow him up the platform, looking for an empty compartment.

"We can't, Harry," said Hermione, looking apologetic. "Ron and I've got to go to the prefect carriage first and then patrol the corridors for a bit."

"Oh yeah, I forgot," said Harry, still thankful that he had Emily, who was now gripping onto his arm tightly.

"You'd better get straight on the train, all of you, you've only got a few minutes to go," said Mrs Weasley, consulting her watch. "Well, have a lovely term, Ron ..."