CHAPTER EIGHT : ENROLLMENT

Start from the beginning

"I believe, Mr Macmillian, you have not read the scroll we distributed. It is clearly mentioned that a student can teach no more than three subjects." McGonagall sighed. "However, if the candidate is exceptional, he/she may be asked to guide students in subjects other than their allotted ones."

Another hand popped up.

"So are we taking over the professor job?" a girl asked.

McGonagall shook her head before replying. "No, Ms Brown. The professors will still be teaching during school hours. You are taking up the job as a tutor."

"When are we teaching then?"

"After school hours. The school time will be from eight o'clock until twelve-thirty in the afternoon. The student program will work from two in the afternoon till five in the evening."

"Do we have to attend the school lectures?"

"Yes. However, you shall attend the class and the subject you are supposed to teach and not any other. You will also assist the professors when required."

"How would we know when we have a class?"

"You will be given a timetable for that purpose. You and your partner will have a similar one, so you can coordinate accordingly."

There were a few more hands that went up, and McGonagall sighed.

"Yes?"

"Do we have to have a partner?"

"Yes," McGonagall answered, "You will work in pairs. However, exceptions can be made for the worst case possible. But you are most likely to have another candidate working with you. They will be your dormmate as well. But if limited students get the position, you may need to work alone," McGonagall replied, then she pointed to a girl ahead of me.

For a second, I thought she was picking me.

"Do we get to choose our partners?"

"No," she firmly replied. "As I previously mentioned, you will be doing a test that determines what subject you will be assigned to teach. Then, based on that, you will receive the most suitable partner."

She paused for a moment. "Candidates must not switch rooms, and they cannot under any circumstances live with the opposite gender," McGonagall sternly said. "Any other questions can be privately asked after we dismiss everyone."

Everyone walked towards the registration desk. I saw Potter already in the line. It was annoying that he had to be here. I did not spot Granger and Weasley.

Why did he have to be here?! He ruins everything.

I hoped we would have minimum interactions. And it wouldn't be like school years all over again. The very sight of Potter enraged me.

The line slowly moved. It was my turn to submit my application.

"Name?" asked the bored-looking man.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy," I answered.

He looks up to meet my eyes in a slightly more interested way.

"Malfoy," my name slipped off his tongue as if he was processing it. "What subjects are you to apply for?"

"Uhm... Potions, Defence Against The Dark arts-"

The man snorted. I ignored him.

"Charms, Herbology, Arithmancy, Flight and Transfiguration," I finished.

"That's quite a lot." His tone sounded mocking. "Can you pick any five at the least?"

I cleared my throat. "Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, and uh... Flight."