Chapter 58

Emma could still remember her life when she was young.

Every day, she was hit by the scorching heat of the sun and by night, the cold winds froze her body.

Her black, greasy hair draped over her shoulders and her eyes were as lifeless as a doll.

She forgot when she had her last bath and looking at the dry skin she had, it bothered her more than ever.

She wondered who she was. Why did her parents gave birth to her? Why is she still alive?

Everytime many nobles pass by the alley where she was hiding, she always saw the shimmering life of young girls that weren't her.

"I want to buy that dress, mother!"

"Please buy me a waffle, please!"

"Mommy this ribbon is so pretty!"

As Emma sneaked into the lives of those young nobles, she always felt jealousy and anger slowly rising inside her heart.

"Why do they have a good life?"

"I wish I was that girl."

"Having a mother must feel nice."

"If only I can dress up like them."

"Why is it them?"

"Why can't I be like them?"

"Can't I just be a noble for once?"

"I hate them."

Everyday, the noises in her head grew louder and louder.

Years passed by and her life wasn't still going around. It was like she had no progress.

Everyday, she prayed that she would have a better life.

She hoped that her life will turn around and she'll be like the others.

But there was no answer to her prayers.

"I'm so sick of this life. If only there was someone who'll save me from this hell.. I'll gladly do anything."

Everyday, she murmured about the life that she had.

*Tak*

*Tak*

But one day, she saw the answer to her prayers.

"Just in time. I'm in need of a rat who can do anything for me."

Odette, the empress, arrived before her like a savior.

Odette raised Emma's chin up using her index finger.

"Ahh, the look of desperation. I like it. Say, how about coming with me? In return, I will give you wealth and honor that you deserve." She offered.

This was it.

This was the moment that Emma had been waiting for.

"Please. I'll accept! Please get me out of this life, I hate this. I only want to be like other girls. I want my life to turn around." Emma clinged to the hem of Odette's dress.

"Good. Now, kiss my feet."

"W-What?"

"I won't repeat it. If you really want to be saved, you need to obey me."

"I-"

Emma was never desperate in her life before.

But in order to have what she has always wanted, she needs to stoop low.

"Good. Very good. I'm glad that you're a smart girl. Now, follow me."

Odette took her in.

She ordered her maids to clean Emma, wear her a new dress and let her eat something good.

This was what Emma wanted. A good life.

But everything wasn't like what she seemed.

"I need you to go back where you came from." Odette ordered.

"What? Why?!"

*Slap!*

"A dog never asks their master. Listen, you go back there and act the way you've acted before. Be filthy, desperate, and lifeless. I need you fool someone."

"...Fool someone?"

Odette showed her a picture of Catherina's mother; Carla Dwight.

'Who is that woman? She's so beautiful...' Emma was mesmerized by her beauty.

"Once you saw this woman pass by the alley, I need you to pull her dress and catch her attention. Beg for her help. Be desperate, and tell her that you'll do anything to be saved. Just like how you begged me." Odette smirked at her.

Emma had no choice to begin with. All she had to do was obey Odette's order.

...

Once Emma was back in the alley, she began to wait on Carla.

With the way she dressed and looked, she was sure that Carla would take a pity towards her.

'It's her!!' She finally saw Carla's figure.

Emma quickly ran towards Carla and pulled the hem of her dress.

"Who are you?!" The knights pointed their swords at Emma but Carla signaled them to put it down.

"Madame, please give me a food to spare.. I'm so hungry... Please help me..."

Carla paused as soon as she saw her.

As kind as she is, her heart was moved. It reminded her of her daughter.

What if, it was Rina who is in front of her now? How would she treat her? Of course she'll take care of her.

"Please stand up."

"Madame..."

"How about coming with me? I'll provide a work for you so that you can live a little better. Is that fine?" Carla suggested.

"Pardon? But.. why are you willing to help me?"

Emma wondered if this was a real act of kindess coming from Carla.

"You see, I have a daughter. She's the most beautiful thing that happened to me." Carla smiled. "And I think you'd be a lovely companion and friend for her."

Emma was curious who this daughter was that she made Carla smile prettily like that.

That daughter is so lucky to have a kind and beautiful mother like her.

'How lucky...'

"Thank you, madame. I'll gladly work for you!!"

And so after that day, her life truly changed.

She saw Catherina's family as hers.

She wanted to have parents like hers.

She wanted to have Callahan too.

She wanted to have friends like she does.

She wanted her position.

Catherina's life was everything she wanted.

And in order to make that happen,

She needed to erase her existence.