Chapter 56

Stephen stood in front of the room where Odette was locked in.

There were two knights standing on guard each beside the door.

"Open it."

"Yes, your majesty."

One of the knights opened the door.

*Creak*

"Finally, are you here to let me out-"

Odette stopped grumbling as Stephen walked inside the room.

"Y-Your majesty-"

"Remain seated."

"Son, I've been accused. They are framing me! Please believe me-"

"Mother." Stephen sighed. "I'm really tired. I'm so sick of everything.

"Stephen,"

"From the very beginning, I already faced a heavy burden. Especially from the fact that I don't have the emperor's blood in me. The fact that I was born after lust. I was a mistake, aren't I?"

*Slap!*

"How could you say that?! You are of the royal blood and you have every right to be where you are right now!" Odette yelled.

"But I don't deserve it."

"Y-You-"

"So I was thinking. What if I abdicate from the throne and pass it to Callahan, who is the second-most righful heir to the throne?"

Odette knelt in front of him when she heard it.

"No, son, no! Please, I beg of you, not to that man! You are the emperor!! Not Callahan who is Carla's son! You are my son and you must be the emperor!"

Stephen looked down at her with a tired look.

Tears escaped his eyes as he realized something.

"I knew it. From the very beginning, you only saw me as a tool to satisfy your power. You only wanted to be above Callahan's mother.. because you're jealous.

You only see me as a royal but never as a son."

"No, you have it all wrong-"

"I understand. This must be my punishment. It's the time for me to atone for my guilt."

"Don't give up the throne! You mustn't! Never! How dare you!! I was the one who put you in that place!!" Odette screamed on the top of her lungs.

She could never accept it.

How dare he say that he'll give up the throne and give it to Callahan. Everything in the palace was hers! Only she has the authority to decide something like that!

"It's too late, mother. The sin you committed is already so deep that even hell can't reach it. And you have to face the consequences."

"Son-"

Stephen opened the scrolled that he held ever since earlier. He then started reading its contents.

"Odette Rai Alexander, empress dowager of the empire... You are hereby announced guilty for being involved with a witch, attempting to murder Duchess Carla Dwight, and conspiring with a maid named Emma, in order to poison Duke Raphael and Callahan Dwight."

"Impossible...!"

"We already found the witch and the moment we did, she confessed everything."

Odette froze.

'How did they find her?'

"How did they find her?" Stephen muttered.

Everything was written on Odette's face that Stephen could tell what she was thinking.