Chapter 48

Emma?

When Catherina's family heard Emma's name being mentioned, they were dumbfounded.

Callahan was also surprised. He knew that he already had suspicions with Emma but hearing it from Owen, it seemed like a confirmation.

"What? Please explain it. I don't want you to accuse Emma like that. She's a good child." Carla refused to believe it at first.

Emma wasn't a good child. She was just pretending to be like that. She was just building up her image in front of Catherina's family.

And of course, Catherina felt the same at first. She too was surprised when Owen told her that Emma had something to do with her death.

"Of course, I will explain." Owen answered.

"But before that, I'm sure I mentioned that the Blue Dragon's Tears, the empress, who is currently the empress dowager right now, and Emma, are the three key figures that is involved in Rina's death."

All of them nodded as they agreed with Owen's words.

"All three are connected. First, the Blue Dragon's Tears."

Owen started explaining the stuff he told Rina when she first woke up.

He told her family that the Blue Dragon's Tears were flowers, and lethally poisonous at that one.

He also relayed that this plant was falselfy identified as a medicine for beauty and that's where Odette's name inserted.

"So, the empress dowager ordered you to search for that flower to aid her beauty?" Callahan

"Yes. And that connects us to Emma."

"How? How is she connected?" Carla was still adamant in believing that part.

"It may seem hard to believe but Emma used the same poison to kill Rina."

"The Blue Dragon's Tears?" Raphael and Callahan mumbled.

Owen nodded. "The poison have these kinds of symptoms: fatigue, drowsiness, frequent nosebleeds, and coughing up blood. And all those things... Rina experienced it."

Carla cried. She cried, not because she was sad. But because she was angry.

Carla actually refused to believe it but it was too real to be a lie. After all, she did notice Emma making tea for Rina almost everyday back then.

And to think that, that tea... Actually had poison in it. She was too complacent with her. She regretted not investigating Rina's death earlier.

"How could she do this to us? After how I treated her like family, this is how she repays me? What did I ever do wrong for her to hate Rina enough to attempt to kill her." Carla sobbed and Catherina hugged her in order to provide comfort.

"Why did she do that? Does she have any resentment against us? Did Odette order her to do it? If so, I could never forgive it." Carla's demeanor darkened as soon as she considered that thought.

"There's a possibility that the empress dowager ordered her." Callahan added.

"I'll rip her into pieces." Duke Raphael gritted his teeth.

Catherina's family was smart.

The moment Owen mentioned that Emma used the source of poison from the empress dowager, they knew that Emma was Odette's rat.

And Odette must be the mastermind. But even though the empress dowager is indeed the mastermind, they still couldn't let Emma be.

After all, Emma just did the greatest sin.

"Mother, do you remember my doctor back then?" Catherina asked.

Her solemn and gentle voice just brought serenity and calmness in the atmosphere around them.

"My daughter." Carla hugged her. She still couldn't believe that Rina was actually alive. And she is glad for it.

"Yes, I do. I remember." Carla nodded in reply.

"Doctor Duncan will actually help us by standing as a witness of the upcoming banquet in the palace. I want the empress.. dowager to pay for her sins. As well as Emma."

"That's great." Carla patted her head.

"It's time to end the empress dowager's regency. And the greatest piece of evidence for the empress dowager's downfall would be Emma herself." Owen informed.

'But still. There must be someone who made that poison in the first place. Who?' Owen silently thought.

He doubt that Odette was the one who made that poison. At least, there must be a powerful source behind Odette.

And that powerful source would be a great force to completely punish and crush Odette.

'I'll check it later.' Owen pondered as he glanced at Catherina. For now, she was the priority.

Callahan who now confirmed his doubts, actually got reminded of Emma's actions recently.

"Mother, father, I also have something to say." Callahan spoke up.

"What is it?" Raphael questioned.

"Actually, I also discovered something. Emma is also putting something on my tea. It's poisonous but fortunately, it's not lethal. But it seems like if I consumed it, there would still be unknown side effects."

"What?" Carla was close to breaking her patience with Emma.

First, it was Catherina. And now, her target was Callahan?

"It seems like I've raised and fed a serpent in this household. I guess it's time to kill it." Carla uttered in a low voice.

'How dare that woman make light of us. She dared to take advantage of my kindness towards her?' Carla tightly closed her fist as she felt angry. "I'll kill that woman."

"Mother, please calm down." Catherina who noticed her mother's patience running out, held her hand.

"Ah. I'm sorry if you heard that." Carla smiled as she realized that her daughter was beside her.

Raphael and Callahan also smiled when they saw Carla smiled. They were glad that the Carla they knew was back. No, they were glad that everything was back to normal.

Raphael looked at Owen.

"Now that everything is finally explained and sorted out, there's something I want to do." Raphael stood up from his seat and walked towards Owen.

"Father?" Catherina wondered why he stood in front of Owen.

*TWHACK-!!*

*Gasp!*

Raphael just gave Owen a harsh blow on his cheek and he accepted it wholeheartedly. Perhaps, he knew the reason why Raphael did that.

Raphael grabbed his collar and glared at Owen.

"That's for stealing my daughter's existence six years ago." He was talking about how Owen stole Catherina's dead body from the church that time.

Owen just stayed silent.

"But for doing that..."

*Drip*

Tears fell from Raphael's eyes as he tightly clutched on Owen's collars.

"You brought her back to us.. alive. Thank you so much."

From punching Owen and grabbing his collars, it actually changed to Raphael hugging him as a way of thanks.

That's right. If Owen fell into despair when Catherina died, he might've actually killed himself.

But he didn't. Instead, he went crazy and stole her body. Then as a powerful magician, he looked for ways to bring Rina back alive.

That's what Raphael was thankful for.

Separating from the hug, Raphael sighed and looked at Owen, then towards Catherina.

"???"

"So, when are you getting married?"